Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Howling Moon roof tent

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
I have recently been lucky enough (but not sure now) to win a Howling Moon roof tent on eBay. It was advertised as a 1.2 Deluxe but turned out to be a 1.6 Tourer, a bonus :icon-smile:

Since getting the tent I have been finding out more and more about these things, yes I know I’ve done my research back to front :doh:

Mine seems to be an early one as it has no fly sheet. I have since found out that the canvas of the tent is not 100% water proof in British weathers, is this right? That in its self is not an issue as Mrs Bat will be making a flysheet from one of these.

My other concern is with the tent cover, although it has no holes it is looking a bit tired, so I would like to replace it. I have searched the net and can’t find anywhere that sells spares for there tents, anyone recommend anywhere?

Last edited:
Give Trek Overland a call for a replacment cover, I bought one recently for my 7yr old Howling moon 1.4 Tourer. The tent is still in brilliant condition, just the cover was suffering the effects of too many winters. I think mine cost around £70.

Enjoy.

And have a look at the plastic 'hinges' where the ladder clips on - they break!! Trek should have spares as well.

Congrats on the purchase - I'm sure you'll be very comfy in it ;-)

I don't think it should need a fly to be water proof. Is it leaking through the main part of the fabric or just at the seams? If it's a good few years old it might just want re-proofing with something like fabsil, or some bees wax rubbing on if it's just at the seams. I expect Trek Overland could advise you about that as well.

Thanks Scott/Gary, I will give Trek a bell and see if they can sort me out a new cover. One of the 'ball ends' on the hoop that keeps the entrance extension taught is missing, I will see if they can supply those too.

Out of interest Scott, has yours got a fly sheet?

Haven't tried it yet Jon, it is only what I have read on the net.

I guess a good dousing with Fabsil or Nikwax will keep all but the worst weather out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Out of interest Scott, has yours got a fly sheet?
Hi Paul, yes mine came with a flysheet as standard, I think they all do. I have replaced my original flysheet with the redesigned/improved version that has a triangular section that comes down past the windows (at the non ladder end of the tent) and hooks onto a plastic hook on each side of the baseboard. This tensions the flysheet were it passes over the top of the tent, but isn't kept spaced off of the canvas by one of the hoops. The old fly that wasn't tensioned in this way would flap and slap top of the tent in the wind, most annoying, the redesigned fly is much better.

Paul, you've seen the fly on mine at lincomb, but Rob didn't have his on. Looks like this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352493280.130285.jpg
The green part.

Did you get the lower tent as well??

May be worth also asking Trek how much a new fly sheet is, I have heard the newer design is much better than the originals.

Last edited:
Hi Paul, yes mine came with a flysheet as standard, I think they all do. I have replaced my original flysheet with the redesigned/improved version that has a triangular section that comes down past the windows (at the non ladder end of the tent) and hooks onto a plastic hook on each side of the baseboard. This tensions the flysheet were it passes over the top of the tent, but isn't kept spaced off of the canvas by one of the hoops. The old fly that wasn't tensioned in this way would flap and slap top of the tent in the wind, most annoying, the redesigned fly is much better.
Thanks again Scott, looks like I may be looking at getting a fly sheet from Trek too then

Paul, you've seen the fly on mine at lincomb, but Rob didn't have his on. Looks like this:
View attachment 4442
The green part.

Did you get the lower tent as well??
Ah yes thanks Gary, you've just reminded me I have some photos of yours that I have zoomed into and had a 'closer' look.

No I didn't get the lower 'room' just the tent.

I paid £580 for this one and it cost me another £100 in fuel to fetch it.... by the time I have got a new fly sheet and cover it's not going to be as much of a bargain as I first though :doh:

After spending another £320 on a new mattress and tent cover I decided it was too wide to go across the back of the 80 :doh:

Managed to bag a 1.4 Tourer today complete with lower 'room' and a few extras, canvas and fly sheet as new.

Heard great things about the howling moon tents. Last year I got a Cascadia RTT (CVT). So much nicer than sleeping on the floor and waking up with the 'chills' and aching back!

A good cheap mod is a memory foam topper for your mattress. Cheap, adds an extra layer and can stay in the tent all the time. Makes nights warmer and more comfy!

And where does one get that then??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And where does one get that then??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Anywhere really. Ebay is a good place or just type in 'Memory Foam topper" into google.

You can always get a slightly bigger size and then just cut it to fit

Back