Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hub nut

diggerdave

Hi. Is it possible to overtighten the front hub nut and cause any damage (e.g. to the bearings or the dustshield on the outboard end of the CV)?

I recently changed both complete driveshafts. I nipped up the hub nuts with a massive breaker bar (which is what it took to get them undone).

On the first one I did, the hub nut ended up some way 'in' from the split pin hole so when I put on the castle spacer and inserted the split pin, it was a bit rattly and loose. I didn't tighten the other side as much and the castle spacer and split pin are much more snug.

I'm going to back off the first one a little tomorrow, but could I have caused any damage? I can hear an extra whirring noise that wasn't there before and I'm a bit worried (although it might just be that the second-hand CV I fitted is past its best).

Ouch thats one thing i always look up the torque setting for . Trying to think what it might damage though i can't really picture it doing much other than to heat the bearing maybe ?

It being so tight to undo i'm always uncomfortable and second guessing myself when i replace it with a torque wrench thinking surely it should be tighter than that .

Last edited:
Thanks Shayne. Yeah, rookie error on my part.

Am I right in thinking it wouldn't have hurt the wheel bearings though as they are a sealed unit, rather than tapered roller bearings which would be sensitive to pressure? It was only a turn or two too tight. Hope so!

I wouldn't worry about it worst case scenario you might have shortened the lifespan of one or the other but its still likely to be a long time before that lets itself be known .

This is a video of replacing CV boots. It clearly shows the nut retainer and split pin are a rattling fit on his vehicle (@ 3:23).
The correct torque for this nut would be really important.

Gregory's Prado 90/95 repair manual says the drive shaft retaining nut is 235Nm.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
7th entry

Attachments

• frontdrivetorque.png
    frontdrivetorque.png
    291 KB · Views: 25
Back