Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hydraulic motor pump

stumog

Country Flag
england
I am currently looking for either a 12v hydraulic pump or a v belt driven pump.

Looking to run a.log splitter off the 80. If you have an.old log splitter also get in touch

Cheers

I’ve done a fair bit of this Stu. Built my own log splitter and built a power pack to run it. I like your idea but there’s many things to consider. Pressures and flow rates for a start. Any 12v Power pack would be short time rated and draw so much current you’d have other issues with batteries, alternators and heat dissipation.

My setup uses a variable displacement pump running at 3000 psi into a modified JCB dipper ram through a special speed increasing valve. 13.5 tonnes on the ram splits most logs with ease.

Flowfit on EBay do new clutch driven pumps. You’ll ideally need a tank with several gallons of oil plus a cooler as I find a lot of heat goes into the oil.

After making everything and totting up the cost I’d say buy one with a decent engine on it. It will be cheaper. Look on eBay. There’s been a few good unwanted projects on there. If you go your route, be very careful on the pump you buy. Some are traction pumps and do more flow than pressure.

Give Clarkes Machine Mart or Sealey power tools a look as if it goes u/s you just take em back or have a look at your nearest agri power merchant they might have something useful

Hi Stumog, did you success installing your hydraulic system finally ??

In 80 series you have the PTO port at the transfer case, i found it better than a clutch gear pump or a 12V setup as you can fit from a gear pump to a pressure compensated pump or even load sensing one without worries and at same time keep your aircon. Probably it will be more expensive though. What I like out of this HF2A tansfer case is the 10 bolts mounting PTO compared to HF1A of HZJ that comes with 6 bolts, stronger under heavy loads.

About 1H engines I know there are belt driven kits available, not sure for 1HD where the turbo may faul with the hydraulic pump.

Starcruiser's kit may split logs easier than butter on those specs...I also got a gear clutch pump from Flowfit in the past.

Starcruiser's kit may split logs easier than butter on those specs....
It certainly does Daniel but it can be stalled on a real knotty log if it’s not aligned right or if I try and use the 4 way blade.

Most logs are a breeze. It will even cut branches to length up to about 70mm across the grain.

With the right setup and an 80 powering a good pump from the PTO, a very quick and powerful log splitter could be had. The problem then is making the frame strong enough. I built mine on a 200mm x 120mm I beam and it can be seen to flex a little. It bent the first blade I made which was 1/2” case hardened. It now has a 3/4” blade with a hardened steel upstand behind it. A log with twisted grain can still bend the blade sideways.

Back