Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hydraulic Winches

IRLGW

Anyone using a hydraulic winch on their truck? I see a lot of the cheaper models are actually electric driven pumps as opposed to PTO units. Whats the deal on them in terms of speed and braking power v the standard electric winches. Very curious to know if its worth spending £500 for a HW as opposed to £300 for an electric one. Its for fitting to the rear so wouldn't see much use anyhow..

Was it Ian who used one off the steering pump? Worked extremely well iirc. Also Justin has a factory fitted one on his 80.

My hydraulic winch had a dedicated pump fitted where the aircon compressor would normally sit. It was chain driven off the crank. It was an awesome setup from a speed and power point of view. It was based on a MileMarker but had a different motor fitted. It was definitely an extreme setup and not something I would recommend for day to day use. Initially it kept breaking drive chains which as annoying because they invariably exited the engine bay via the radiator. Cured that by fitting a trials bike chain.

DSC00105Medium.jpg

I seem to recall it took about 8 seconds to wind the entire rope. I think Gav and Lorin saw it in action at one of the Lincombs.

Rob has/had a more normal MileMarker power steering pump setup.

Last edited:
OK, point taken. The green car was a bit on the single purpose side and I did like to push its limits.

I ran hydraulic winches front and rear on my lr challenge truck. Very quick and very powerful. Chain driven off the crank. 10 ton If I recall which was a bit over the top. Problem is if you roll you cant recover as you obviously have to turn the engine off.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Where do you plan to get 50 - 60 litres/minute of hydraulic fluid at 100bar from? When those winches are referring to 12v or 24v they mean the valve blocks. You need a hydraulic pump. The standard 80 power steering pump does not have a good flow rate from a winch point of view. You can either go crank driven or PTO if your gearbox allows. When I looked, crank driven was the better option for me.

Some Land Cruiser transfer boxes have a PTO connection point, found this when looking for a TB for my car, it seems the boxes are not that rare but the connection shafts and so forth are veeeery expensive. I have seen a Milemarker run off an electric power steering pump, strong pulling power but very slow.

My own experience was only using 12v electric which IME would be fine (and easier to install) for a rarely used rear one but, if you understand snatch blocks you can use your front winch to pull you out backwards, I know it goes against your 'thinking' but it can be done.

regards

Dave

Where do you plan to get 50 - 60 litres/minute of hydraulic fluid at 100bar from? When those winches are referring to 12v or 24v they mean the valve blocks. You need a hydraulic pump. The standard 80 power steering pump does not have a good flow rate from a winch point of view. You can either go crank driven or PTO if your gearbox allows. When I looked, crank driven was the better option for me.

Ah I was under the impression that they had their own built in hp pump driven by a 12/24v motor...Anyway the real question is has anyone bought a cheap Hydraulic winch off ebay and can comment on how they perform? Or should I be the first!

I have a Mile Marker winch running off the power steering pump. They are slow but should be very reliable if installed correctly. You need a restriction on the return line so you can winch down off a hill without cavitation. Also check the condition of the hoses regularly, don't wait till the weeping hoses fail.

They have stupidly high pull forces and rarely stall in low gear, will get you out of any amess. They also do not slow down under load.

BTW, mine is almost the same as the H10 Mile Marker sold today. It is designed to run off high flow power steering pumps winch the one in the 80 just about qualifies.

I have a MileMarker fitted - had the following done at Julians - replaced the small fuild bottle with a larger tank and relocated it - fitted a larger quicker pump in that spot fitted the belt guard from a 100 series that ensured no finger trouble.

It works very welll - and has a good speed on fast and slow...

Julian has photos of the instalation. Wasn't the easiest as it was his first time - probably quicker/better on a second attempt.

Can supply (or Julian) can - photos if required.

Do you have the details of the pump he fitted? What are its flow and pressure specifications?

Ian - well now you're asking for more detail than I haveto hand. It was a pump that was on the old mile marker web site that theyrecommended. It looks almost a factory fit with the 100 series guards above it- albeit painted bright blue (Julians color not mine).

Driven off the same front pully that drives the air compressor... albeit alonger belt. Works very well - has some problems with belts cracking until Ifound a decent new supply of belts... I think like a lot of drive belts theysit on the shelf somewhere for years... in the sun etc...

LOL - only used the winch 'proper' once when away in Morocco - that was to pullPaul Blackburn (onelifeadventures) out of the mud... Paul said that was thewettest week he had ever seen in Morocco - we got stranded on a river bankisland and couldn't get off as the usual dry river bed was a raging torrent.Lots of beer got consumed.

However I will see later if I can get a part number off the unit for you.

Thanks. MileMarker specify a minimum of 3.5 gallons per minute at 1500psi. They work a lot better if you give them more flow. I think mine was about 13 gallons per minute. I think some people in the US use a 5 gallon per minute Saginaw power steering pump.

Is the pump turning continuously or does it have a clutch like the aircon compressor has?

OK, point taken. The green car was a bit on the single purpose side and I did like to push its limits.

Hi Ian, any chance you could post a couple of pics of the crank pully so we can see how the hydraulic pump is driven, and how you have the pump mounted.

Ive got a HDJ100R with the 1HD-FTE engine. Interested in fitting a hydraulic winch without having to drive it with the power steering pump.

Thanks

Hi Justin,

Sorry I sold that car years ago and the new owner has since broken it for spares. I cannot remember exactly how the crank looked but it was basically a cog attached on the radiator side of the crank pulley. The air con tensioner had its pulley replaced with a cog. The air con compressor was replaced by a big hydraulic pump with a clutch.

I had to go the chain route because of the power requirements of the pump. This was a full on competition spec system. For more general use I think a lower flow rate pump that can be belt driven would be a better bet.

Ian

Hi Ian, hope you are well.
I have the complete winch and set up still in storage and pics too.
If anyone is interested I'm open to offers as I'll never use it.

Will post pics later.

Oh how I’d love that winch! Unfortunately/fortunately it won’t fit due to having aircon.

Back