Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HZJ79 or HZJ75

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
After reading Johnnystrom's Overland Build I have a plan :thumbup:

But it seems I'm failing at the first hurdle, to find a vehicle.

It seems there are loads of secondhand trucks available in Oz and the shipping to the UK isn't too prohibitive, this one looks very nice and low KM's too.

I then came accross Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings which supplies new vehicles. So last night I sent off an email inquiring about the supply of a new HZJ79. Unfortunately this was their reply:-
Thank you for your enquiry. Please note the following information regarding supply from Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings Ltd.(TGS).

The TGS scheme was set up by our principals in Japan, Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC), in 1996 as a stock operation for the United Nations and International Humanitarian Organisations (NGOs). Ours is a unique operation, strictly controlled by TMC to ensure that TGS only supplies eligible organisations. Our scheme is not directly available to locally-based NGOs, unless the vehicle(s) in question is/are donated (purchased) by the United Nations (UN) or an International NGO/ Government Agency (GO).

Please note that our vehicles do not meet European regulations and cannot go to the Europe.

We therefore request you to confirm whether a vehicle purchased by you or your organisation would be consigned to a Humanitarian Organisation or a Development Project. If not, then we may not be in a position to assist you further.

I replied asking if they knew of any place that could supply a vehicle to me, their reply was "Unfortunately these units are not produced for use in Europe, therefore, there would be no stock available."

So that scuppered that plan :doh:

So am I right in thinking unless Toyota decide to bring these into the UK, there is no way of getting a new one.

Also given the above, if I imported one from Oz would the "lets wrap them in cotton wool" EU regs mean it can't be registered and used here? :cry:

Last edited:
dont panic you can get them in europe i think Stan on here can get them and one of the tour operators can i cant remember who at the moment.
I will rack my brains
stu

If importing from Aus, I would look at the HDJ79 (even better would be HDJ79 RV). This model comes with the factory 6 cylinder turbo diesel, but holds a better price than the HZJ non turbo models. Also many are ex-mine utes, so condition of the the vehicle is important. All new Cruiser utes in Aus are now V8 diesels, I believe these have just become available to the African market too.

If you do consider importing a truck, let me know as maybe we could share a container........

dont panic you can get them in europe i think Stan on here can get them and one of the tour operators can i cant remember who at the moment.
I will rack my brains
stu

You can pick them up in Europe, but they will probably be left hand drive.

Let me know if you need any help in finding one.

6 month ownership might be the challenge bringing one in as a private import.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just buy a vehicle, and store for 6 months or a year. No problems there......

they are v8 turbo in SA now. somebody was saying they might get a twin turbo one but i dont know for sure.
i think the non tirbo one would be very slow and gutless i would like to try one before i brought one. I know the 4.5l petrol goes like stink but fuel is expensive, they say in nambis the petrol and diesel use the same amount fuel in the dunes though.

My 2 concern's with one is the ride with left springs whats it like? i dont like the ride in seres landies so this would have to be looked at compared to the 80 you have. also whats the driving postion like the steering wheel looks very close to the door.

If you 80 is tip top and reliable why not chop the back off and make a back for it? this is what i would do if i only wanted a 2 seater pick up. small space behind the seats.nice box on the back

i will try and post a picture of what i saw the other day on mud but cant find at the moment.

stu

79 series has a coil front end, plus the cab is a little longer than the 75 series. I find the driving position and ride good in my / work 79 series, but the suspension has been replaced and lifted about 50mm.

thanks cHarlie nice to know.
where did you find a Fortuner that cant be the uk.

thanks cHarlie nice to know.
where did you find a Fortuner that cant be the uk.

It's the wife's car, it's in Indonesia. It's the second Fortuner we have had, they are nice vehicles to drive.

my brother in law has one its very nice to drive.
stu

Thanks for the info chaps, most appreciated.

I was drawn to the simplicity of the none turbo HZJ79 but must admit that having driven a 4.2 Y60 Patrol, which was also none turbo, it wasn't something I have fond memories of.... so I guess sticking with a turbo version would be a wiser move.

In an ideal world, it would probably make sense to drive one first before committing to go down the route but, not sure how I can make that happen without traveling to somewhere that sells them.

Charlie, I will keep you posted if I decide to go down the import route, sharing a container could save us both some cash.

Paul, let me know (PM if you want) if you know of any.

I might also contact Stan and see what the situation is :thumbup:

As far as converting my 80, I know it's only a piece of metal but I just couldn't take an angle grinder to him.... it just wouldn't seem right :cry: he's only just had his 21st birthday this year

How about a brand new HZJ78 Troopie like mine! 4.2 naturally aspirated, 2x 90lt fuel tanks, raised air intake, front & rear diff locks all factory fitted. troopie 009.jpg Before and after...troopie.jpg
About £30,000 SVA'd, UK taxed and ready to go! HZJ79 pick ups also available all LHD (not a problem as visibility is great. If you want to see how well it drives, why not come on one of our Wessex Wanderer weekends?

Just back from Morocco - lots of pix on Andy Cook's thread here:- http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/49831-Morocco-Sept-Oct-2013/page3

Happy trails,

Peter

I'm actually really considering the 76 Wagon now as apposed to a ute. I think it would make an awesome touring vehicle, especially if I converted the back to coils. :think:

I'm thinking if its true that their going to stop the 70 series range in 2015 in OZ then I might have to place an order before then. :icon-cool:

What exactly do you want a 70 series for Paul? :think:

I did wonder if you could just buy a new one form a European country that does sell them but specify right hand drive. That must be possible surely?

http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruise...ota_ShowroomPage_SUVSand4WDS_LC70_Image#range

Peter, where did you buy your HZJ78?

I read on FB that Julian from http://www.overland-cruisers.co.uk/ may be able to import and register new 70s, worth giving him a call or sending an email.

Last edited:
Hi Rob,

I got mine direct from the factory in Japan. (Got a man who can!) Special order as I wanted the lockers. I can get 76's too. Only LHD drive as they're not built for the UK/European market (but are Euro4 emissions compliant)

They drive really well - all controls very light considering the size of the truck. Ride is fine - don't notice the leafs on the back. No turbo, but it's built for Africa not the autobahn. Tough as old boots and parts available through your local Toyota dealer.

If you're interested, let me know.

Happy trails,

Peter

thats not a bad price for the troopy. maybe soon.rhd still about in SA
stu

Back