Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I have an itch (!)

Euan McGilp

While I'm waiting for Roughtrax to get the wiper assemblies in, I've been mulling over what to do with my Collie...

For the past few years, off and on, I've thought of selling it and finding 'something' else (?). It's a 2001 LWB in Narrow body FX spec (cloth trim & seats); Manual 5-speed box, & 3.0TD KZ-TE motor. As a March 2001 build, which my wife and I haave owned since late 2002 - I think - it's one of the last pre-D4D motors (may be wrong here...).

Every time I've got to the point of advertising it, something comes up (towing the racecar / picking stuff up / another vehicle has broke, etc) meaning I've got to use the Collie & it just gets the job done!:icon-cool:

So, I've been wondering whether I should scratch the itch... anyone got experience of a 1UZ-FE conversion?
Also, not sure if it should be kept 5-speed, or if there's an adapter setup for th 1UZ-FE to Collie autobox and 4WD setup? Clearly, if I go ahead, I'd like to keep the full-time FWD, just with around 280BHP and a bucket of torque :laughing-rolling:

Any thoughts? Experience? Advice?

Also, any idea of what my engine & box would be worth if I were to sell it first (everything works fine, & about 180K) and be committed to the conversion (I do have another vehicle I can use)?

That's an ambitious one.. would a V8 even fit? Has the UZ any similarity to the collie V6?

Buy a tidy V6 and supercharge it, apparently its done regularly down under.

Yeah, I get the above, but, when I'd only recently bought the Collie, we were over in Ohio on holiday &, as usual talking BS over cars & trucks (also had a Patrol Y61 then). When I showed pics of what we had, our American pals reckoned we were seriously rich to own a Lexus! The only guy who figured out the Y61 was a dealer who knew Nissan used the SE label...

Back then, Lexus didn't have a SUV & the Collie became the Lexus GX470 (WITH the V8)!

They couldn't get their heads round us having a 3.0TD.

A baby LS400 motor should fit; would only go with the early engine as it has a much stronger bottom end than the VVTI version.

Besides, the 1UZ-FE is about 4" smaller in every dimension than a good old Rover V8 (Buick 215CI) motor!

Gonna get the tape measure out tomorrow & have a think! :whistle:

With the amount of money you'd spend, you could easily stick a manual injector pump, throw a intercooler, exhaust and wind up the boost and come in close to 180 hp and 500+ nm torque. Proven setup. It would be much more drivable and torquey than a petrol V8.

Beau,
Thanks for the option, the idea is one I'll consider. BUT... there is still just something about the baby 8 which puts a smile on the face.
upload_2019-5-5_13-43-47.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back