Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I have brought a BJ41!

safhawk

Country Flag
uk
I have just imported a 1979 BJ41 from Japan.

If a vehicle is worth what somebody will pay for it, I paid the correct price! Not going to admit what I did pay, in case I turn out to have been an idiot!

It is not in perfect condition, couldn't afford it if it was! Body and chassis corrosion free, but body does areas that have been repaired and paintwork tatty. Seats have been replaced but I have the originals, wheels are later alloys, I have three of the original split rim ones. Wiring was a bit chopped around to fit extra lights, I don't have the lights! Only driven it to MoT, seemed Ok. Passed MoT no problem.

I have tried to upload pictures but failed! This might work -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/safhawk/42056525701/in/dateposted-public/

I am having problems registering it, I only have a downloaded .pdf of the Export Certificate and they want the original. Can get round this problem if I can get evidence of date of manufacture. DVLA will accept dating evidence from vehicle owners club - anybody any idea how I would get this!

I will work on the picture upload problem.

If a vehicle is worth what somebody will pay for it, I paid the correct price! Not going to admit what I did pay, in case I turn out to have been an idiot!

It is not in perfect condition, couldn't afford it if it was! Body and chassis corrosion free, but body does areas that have been repaired and paintwork tatty. Seats have been replaced but I have the originals, wheels are later alloys, I have three of the original split rim ones. Wiring was a bit chopped around to fit extra lights, I don't have the lights! Only driven it to MoT, seemed Ok. Passed MoT no problem.

I am having problems registering it, I only have a downloaded .pdf of the Export Certificate and they want the original. Can get round this problem if I can get evidence of date of manufacture. DVLA will accept dating evidence from vehicle owners club - anybody any idea how I would get this!

Can Toyota send a letter of evidence from
The vin? Only one pic in there, we want more pics!!!!

I think there may be a set of split rims on ebay at the moment.................

Get in touch with Toyota UK and they can get you a date for your car. Last time I did it they charged £10 I think.

Hi, welcome, i had a similar problem registering mine, i used the morris commercial club, they came and gave me a letter stating the year etc, i had to pay the guys expenses but it wasn't much £40.00 ish however in those days you had to go to your local DVLA office (mostly closed nowadays) and present all your docs and they inspect them but in truth the guy took a look at the VIN and it has year and month on it and this was enough, i can get you the moris commercial guys number, i had to help them, with some info on found online regarding vin numbers etc bit it all work out in the end, cheers Jon

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd be interested to know about the process for getting a car from Japan, I've heard its very complex, how did you find it and what did you have to do?

Thanks for help:

Moggy, Snowbound, JonFJ - I have now contacted Toyota asking if they can help with proof of year. Snowbound good to know you actually did this successfully.

Waldamar - I saw those spilit rims, but they are pickup only. I will contact seller to see if he will sell two and ship them.

Tony - I will try to post more photos, later!

Moggy - importing you need an agent in Japan to bid in auction and do paperwork and shipping. I used an agent in UK who imported cars from Japan - they used http://www.cosmo-jpn.jp/. It might be worth checking if you can deal directly with cosmo. I used http://www.exportcar.jp/ to find vehicle worth bidding on and an Australian site had lot of info on auctions - http://prestigemotorsport.com.au/auction-guide/. Then UK agent got cosmo to bid. Cosmo very helpful, checked vehicles before bidding and on a couple times didn't bid because they reckoned vehicle wasn't worth it! Don't believe Japanese vehicles are rust free they are not - special ones from the north!

Import tax depends on age of vehicle.

Less than 30 years old: 10% Duty plus 20% VAT. Note duty is added before VAT calculated! (So if the vehicle you want is available in the UK and less than 30 years old it may not be worth importing one.)

Over 30 years old: Zero duty, 5% VAT

This tax calculated on purchase price plus CIS (Charges, Insurance, Shipping).

Charges are all expenses in Japan - agents commission, de-registration fees etc.
Insurance is marine (shipping) insurance.
These come to about 100,000yen (£600 - depending on rate of exchange), this is added to purchase price of the vehicle to give what is called the FOB (Free On Board) price.

Shipping depends on size - £600 for the BJ41.

UK shipping agent fee and dock fees - about £150. They do customs clearance (import duty and VAT), inform HMRC NOVA system (Notification of Vehicle Arrival).

For BJ41 this all came to £1900 (including the 5% VAT) for BJ41.

Plus UK agents fee if using one.

You can't drive it on the road till registered, so will need transportation to your home. Cost depends on distance and if you have got access to car transporter or have to pay somebody!

To register you need:
DVLA form v55/5.
MoT, if vehicle in good condition all you need is to install a rear fog light. Speedo does not need changing to MPH. Can be MoTed on chassis number and driven to MoT garage.
Insurance, again using chassis number, insure before driving to MoT garage.
On the NOVA system, Shipping agent should have done this - DVLA checks with HMRC.
Japanese Export Certificate. The original not a copy! I am having problems getting original!
£55 fee plus Vehicle Exercise Duty.

When done - DVLA will give you an age appropriate reg number and replacement MoT certificate with new reg number on it. You will need tell insurance company new reg number and get number plates made.

Then you can drive it!!!

I only have a downloaded .pdf of the Export Certificate and they want the original. Can get round this problem if I can get evidence of date of manufacture.
DVLA will accept dating evidence from vehicle owners club - anybody any idea how I would get this!

Did you get round the problem and get the original EC?
If not you can identify the month of manufacture from your vin number using sites such as www.toyodiy.com and then ask one of the club officials/moderators (by pm) if they would sign a letter drafted by you verifying the DoM.

Regards,
Rodger

Hi Roger,
All sorted, UK agents had the original export certificate! Don't know why they only sent me digital copy! Once I had original there was no problem registering vehicle, reg number EEL825T.
Now in use regularly, car shows, local trips, even take it to supermarket just so I can drive it. Now fitted with roof rack to carry my canoe, I have had two Canadian canoes on it.
I still can't work our how to post photos!

Good news!
To post photos: use the 'upload a file' box next to Post Reply. It will ask if you want them as thumbnails or full size - the latter is best. Give each photo a new line otherwise it will split the text.
Looking forward to seeing some pics...

Regards,
Rodger

Doesn't work, I don't get "thumbnails or full size" message. When I click on .jpg file to upload get error message "here was a problem uploading your file".

dateposted-public

I am not either an administrator or moderator so I don't really know why you are getting that but maybe it is like 'conversations'/pms and you have to have a certain number of posts first.
Perhaps @Crispin can tell us. (The @ before his name will bring it his attention - I only learnt that this week!).

Regards,
Rodger

Back