Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I KNEW IT WOULDNT BE LONG...WHHHYY!!

Judging by the fact the check engine light comes on at 2k, it could be something boost related. Check for possible boost leaks in the engine bay
This was my thoughts Beau.

Id also check that it hasn't got a cheap tuning box fitted, a long shot but the previous owner may of fiddled.
you can check the wiring by the boost sensor while your there.

Thanks chaps, Il get em looked at today with a bit of luck.... cheers. Boost related 'eh'.. Could be something with the whistling Turbo...?

The 100 series Guys use Techstream. I’m guessing it will work on the 120 but would be good for somebody to confirm.

Yep. Techstream works on the 120. Plenty on ebay for under £20. If you've got a PC laptop it'll tell you a lot more than a handheld (injector delivery rates etc. etc.). Good luck with the fix Higgy, hope it's something simple.

Update! Drove to work this morning, All fine, Garage did a diagnostic thing, Came up as P1252, Step motor for turbocharger control circuit (open/ short)...... The garage re set. its been fine for the rest of the day.. I gave it some welly on the way home all seems fine.... Let it develop he said, and he will look into the replacement part.. :thumbup: Lets hope that's simple!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Update! Drove to work this morning, All fine, Garage did a diagnostic thing, Came up as P1252, Step motor for turbocharger control circuit (open/ short)...... The garage re set. its been fine for the rest of the day.. I gave it some welly on the way home all seems fine.... Let it develop he said, and he will look into the replacement part.. :thumbup: Lets hope that's simple!
There is a chance it might not recur , Thats why its good to have a scanner in the car , I have one in the armrest box , a tecstream is good to have I have both but its no good out on a trip as some of it it runs off the internet and needs a laptop . BTW did you find a scanner you liked on ebay . mine is the d900 its £20 on ebay .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Beau gets the prize for being closest with a boost fault. Glad it’s found. Check for any wiring damage around that area or along the loom between there and the ECU. This one I’ll wager has been on and off for a while and may even be the reason the car was sold. Intermittent faults are a pig to find.

Well Beau gets the prize for being closest with a boost fault. Glad it’s found. Check for any wiring damage around that area or along the loom between there and the ECU. This one I’ll wager has been on and off for a while and may even be the reason the car was sold. Intermittent faults are a pig to find.
My mate at the garage did a full diagnostics test, Old codes etc, Everything came back normal, and no bad history, His machine was Bluetooth, nice bit of kit,, it even came up as no faults to drivers door..What a waste of electronics. So a fault on the drivers door could bring your truck to a Halt... Why don't they just pool the money and make an engine that doesn't breakdown. f@*K! the drivers door... Sorry rant over:thumbup:

History can be cleared with the right scan tool.

The Cursed Smart Car has a clear history. Well at least since it’s had it all cleared on the Star system. Again!!!!! :angry-screaming: :icon-rolleyes:

History can be cleared with the right scan tool.

The Cursed Smart Car has a clear history. Well at least since it’s had it all cleared on the Star system. Again!!!!! :angry-screaming: :icon-rolleyes:
Somebody in your family must really love that cursed Smart car... Im taking its not you?:lol:

Somebody in your family must really love that cursed Smart car... Im taking its not you?:lol:
I’m learning to love it. It owes me far too much to part with it. :crying-yellow:
It serves as a constant reminder never to buy a computerised car with a fault on it, even if you think you might just be clever enough to fix it!!

I’m learning to love it. It owes me far too much to part with it. :crying-yellow:
It serves as a constant reminder never to buy a computerised car with a fault on it, even if you think you might just be clever enough to fix it!!
I know what you mean, we've got a polo and a skoda fabia on the drive. I love the little polo its a little petrol pocket rocket. Its not even done 50,000. its like the back up car... Im thinking of getting rid of the LC. and running about in the polo. If this LC5 starts playing up....... its going:thumbdown:

I know what you mean, we've got a polo and a skoda fabia on the drive. I love the little polo its a little petrol pocket rocket. Its not even done 50,000. its like the back up car... Im thinking of getting rid of the LC. and running about in the polo. If this LC5 starts playing up....... its going:thumbdown:
Going? What do you mean going? You’ve only had one code! No staying power! :lol:

I tried a Polo once, couldn’t get in it! Instantly hated the thing and bought a 205 XS instead. Now that was a pocket rocket.

Going? What do you mean going? You’ve only had one code! No staying power! :lol:

I tried a Polo once, couldn’t get in it! Instantly hated the thing and bought a 205 XS instead. Now that was a pocket rocket.
What do you mean Only one code.... How many do these 120s throw up before you give in... or are they infinite:crazy:

120? I was talking Cursed Smart Car.
Yours is a Toyota…
What’s more, it’s a Landcruiser

:)

WELL! After a lot of thought, and a long nervy chat with the missus, iv come to a conclusion regarding the LC 120....... I don't like it, Its crap, As a work horse it has no comparison to even the Colorado.. The engine can only be compared to a knackered Transit engine, the tapperty knockerty noise is unbareable . I should of learnt my lesson when I had a Hi Lux D4d. And if that engine is 161hp il eat my shoes...Ok so this is probably my fault but I did my homework, bought one with one owner, full Toyota service history. years MOT.. Bla Bla Bla,. Crawled around underneath, took it for a test drive. what else is there to do?... But within two weeks iv never heard so many, squeaks, pops , bangs, squeels, and knocks, AND the brakes, even with new discs and pads all round they are shocking. If I could have found a decent Colorado 95that wasn't full of rust. I would have bought it hands down over the 120.... So conclusion.. I mean no offence or disrespect to any 120 owners... I hope you love yours, But I will never love this heap! SO if you see a graphite grey 120 lc5. with the REG ending in JAM,on ebay ... DONT buy it:thumbdown: And these are my missus words, she said 'Its a poofed up hairdressers car'

Back