Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I need all the 1 KZTE gurus...

Chuckles

Country Flag
south_africa
So I have an old hilux SFA that I use for trails, hunting + fishing.

It had a 22R in that thr previous owner ugraded to a 5vzfe.

I have since pulled the motor and attempted a D4D with manual diesel pump.

It didn't work.

So we took the d4d block, slapped on a KZTE head with manual 2.8 colt diesel pump and it pulls like a train!!!

But oh the ticking sound.......!!!!

We have since checked valve clearances + fuel pump timing.

When the motor is cold - nothing. When it heats up then it kicks in.... Increases as revs increase.

Anyone have any ideas?

Next step is to pull the head and check if the valves are hitting the pistons. The motor was rebuilt from scratch and pistons cut back 1mm.

My video file is too large so I will take an audio clip tomorrow.

My ears are rubbish but the vid would be better taken outside the truck with the bonnet up .

Dumb as it may sound a deaf person or blind would likely be able to tell you where the noise is coming from if you happen to know any .

Its easy to assume its piston related due to the work done but put your hand on the rocker cover and shut your eyes , you should be able to feel the noise .

Could it be the fan touching the cowl , a poorly fitted clutch , damaged injector ???

Hi Shayne,

The sound is certainly more audible in the vehicle. I actually felt the different injector pipes and no 4 has a pulse/hammer feel in time with the knocking sound.

Injectors tested fine though.

The fan is not currently in. Will check the clutch!

Clutch is right under your seat so it makes sense that it would be louder inside than out if there lay the problem .

Can you pull the glow plugs to remove the compression and rotate the engine by hand to feel any spots where it may be touching.
I have to say that’s one Frankenstein of an engine you have there.

It sounds more tinny than anything. High pitched sounds don’t usually come from anywhere that’s buried deep.

The clutch could be eliminated by seeing if the sound changes when the clutch is depressed. Also I’m guessing this only came about when you changed the head so if it wasn’t doing this beforehand it’s not likely the clutch etc.

Could anything have been dropped in the bellhousing? Have you counted all your spanners. :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Starcruiser - we'll be pulling the head off this week to see whether anything's touching the pistons.

It is a frankenstein of an engine!!!

@ Shayne - I'll be checking the clutch as well!!!

Ironically you don't hear anything when it's cold + idling!

There is a thread on an oz forum, think its IH8 mud. The guy in question put a mechanical pump into his 1kzte and ended up with a knocking noise also? I don't have a solution but interesting that it is worse when warmed up? The usual diesel knock is normally from cold?
I'll be putting a mech pump into mine this summer so interested to see how you get on.

Starcruiser - we'll be pulling the head off this week to see whether anything's touching the pistons.

It is a frankenstein of an engine!!!

@ Shayne - I'll be checking the clutch as well!!!

Ironically you don't hear anything when it's cold + idling!
My money’s on valves slightly knocking when they’re warmed up and at their full extent. A quick check would be to see if the timing belt isn’t one tooth out. Just as something quick and easy to check.

There is a thread on an oz forum, think its IH8 mud. The guy in question put a mechanical pump into his 1kzte and ended up with a knocking noise also? I don't have a solution but interesting that it is worse when warmed up? The usual diesel knock is normally from cold?
I'll be putting a mech pump into mine this summer so interested to see how you get on.

Cat I googled the conversion to mecganical pump and on youtube none of those posted made this sound.

However it could be that the few shown were cold starts?

But I'll keep on digging and keep you posted.

The truck causing the headache..

20180304_091215.jpg

Valves sound possible being that they're fine when cold. Does this mechanical pump have a cold start on it? Have you messed around with the fuel pump timing to see if that could be the cause?

Does it make this sound when warm even with the fuel lines cracked, like with just the starter spinning the engine?

In fact with the motor running does it make this sound if you crack open the injection lines one at a time?

Just trying to figure out if it is a fuel ignition issue or an actual mechanical contact.

Seems to run pretty good except for that horrible noise!

Valves sound possible being that they're fine when cold. Does this mechanical pump have a cold start on it? Have you messed around with the fuel pump timing to see if that could be the cause?

Beau we have adjusted fuel pump timing. Slight improvement. Doesn't have a cold start as far as I know.

Does it make this sound when warm even with the fuel lines cracked, like with just the starter spinning the engine?

In fact with the motor running does it make this sound if you crack open the injection lines one at a time?

Just trying to figure out if it is a fuel ignition issue or an actual mechanical contact.

Seems to run pretty good except for that horrible noise!

According to the mechanic the sound persists but you can only do one line at a time.... but will disconnect all and try your suggestion.

I believe the problem to be fuel related but we'll be checking everything step by step.

The sound being described reminds me of how over enthusiastic use of egr cleaner spray into the intake produces which is basically a misfire , perhaps if you detune lowering boost and and fuel you might eliminate the problem giving you confidence to start turning them up again in small increments .

Well if you've adjusted the timing and it's "improved" it certainly points more towards the fuel side. Could be injecting too late or too early, I'm not sure. I know on our electronic E engines, if you pull out the crank position sensor the engine sounds like it's going through hell - This is because of poor fuel timing injection.

where did the pump come from? Can you bench test this in case its the pump.

Back