Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fix it now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mongaliaorbust

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hello,

I am new to the Toyota club and lets just say it has not been a smooth transition. I have been an off-road enthusiast since age 16 (now 28.) I have built several Jeeps in that time frame (please don't hate me) ranging from an overland style XJ to a highly modified TJ with Dana 60s and 40 inch tires.

I bought a 1991 Triple locked 80 with the 1HDT 313000Ks about 3 months ago in the hopes of building it as an overland rig. A month after ownership cylinder 5 melted into nothing and the head cracked. I went ahead and had the engine rebuilt. 2 days later the auto trans started slipping, and I subsequently fitted a used one, as I just could not afford a rebuild.

So far I have had terrible luck. I am now on a trip from the North of New Zealand to the South, Auckland-Queenstown (a 1500K plus trip.) I have now made it a little under half way to find differential oil covering my drivers front tire. I assume this means it is inner axle seal? There is also thick grease which I would assume is from the hub.

How concerned should I be? Can I simply top up the diff with gear oil or will the hub be damaged from the gear oil washing out the grease. It is about to be Christmas so shops will be closed and I have a very small selection of tools with me. I am not keen on doing this repair on the roadside, but I can probably source the additional tools that will be needed. I have also only ever worked on Dana differentials so this will be new to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I monitor the oil and continue my trip, or roll up my sleeves and try to tackle the job on the roadside somewhere?

Also, what are other weak points of the 80? What else can I do to make it bullet proof? What spare parts and tools should I have with me?

Thank you in advance,
Jesse

Damn dude, you do seem to have a bad one. That's very unusual, they are legendary for a very good reason.

OK look, on the grease / oil thing, there's a simple rule. Oil in the grease for your hubs - not the end of the world.
Grease in the oil in your diff - really bad news. Generally you get more oil in the hub than the other way around and as it gets worse, you end up with very little grease left in the hub because the oil washes it all out.

Personally, what would I do? I'd drop the diff oil completely and refill with new oil. Hey it only takes a bit. See what the oil look like that comes out. If it's not bad then clearly you've not much grease in there. If it looks like snot, then I'd run a bit the drop the oil again. It's pennies here really. You need to protect the diff ring and pinion. The rest of the oily bits are going to get replaced anyway when you pull the hub apart.

This is what I'd do to get me through at the roadside as it were.

So - all you need is some gear oil, a bowl, a rag and a 24 mm socket / spanner.

Damn dude, you do seem to have a bad one. That's very unusual, they are legendary for a very good reason.

OK look, on the grease / oil thing, there's a simple rule. Oil in the grease for your hubs - not the end of the world.
Grease in the oil in your diff - really bad news. Generally you get more oil in the hub than the other way around and as it gets worse, you end up with very little grease left in the hub because the oil washes it all out.

Personally, what would I do? I'd drop the diff oil completely and refill with new oil. Hey it only takes a bit. See what the oil look like that comes out. If it's not bad then clearly you've not much grease in there. If it looks like snot, then I'd run a bit the drop the oil again. It's pennies here really. You need to protect the diff ring and pinion. The rest of the oily bits are going to get replaced anyway when you pull the hub apart.

This is what I'd do to get me through at the roadside as it were.

So - all you need is some gear oil, a bowl, a rag and a 24 mm socket / spanner.

Chris is right. Washing oil through the hubs won't hurt the bearings. The early Range Rovers of similar axle design ran their spheres and hubs with EP90 oil, not grease. Obviously a serious leak will deplete oil in the dif so it needs careful monitoring but a little oil goes a long way. Also jack up the offending end and check for serious play in the bearings and kingpins. A lot of grease coming out may be a sign of play in the king pins causing the wiper seal to lift off the sphere.

Terrible story about the engine. I wonder what caused that.

Chris is right. Washing oil through the hubs won't hurt the bearings. The early Range Rovers of similar axle design ran their spheres and hubs with EP90 oil, not grease. Obviously a serious leak will deplete oil in the dif so it needs careful monitoring but a little oil goes a long way. Also jack up the offending end and check for serious play in the bearings and kingpins. A lot of grease coming out may be a sign of play in the king pins causing the wiper seal to lift off the sphere.

Terrible story about the engine. I wonder what caused that.
There are more than a few cases of cracking/melting number five/six piston on very early 1HD Ts.
Post 92, toyota changed the design of the swirl chamber and injector washer thickness.
Coincidence?.

Thanks for the replies. I will drain the diff and see what I am dealing with.

As for the engine, who knows. The 80 was a factory turbo yet the engine I found in it was 1HZ. So it had been replaced at some point already. Perhaps the 1HZ did not take the turbo well.

It has been piss poor luck so far, but I am optimistic I will soon be able to trust this truck. Fingers crossed!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
May beeeee it might be that the breather line on the front axle housing is blocked causing pressure to build up and pushing the oil out the hub..... have a look for the tube above the diff housing and make sure its clear.... Hope its that simple..... Merry Xmas .... Bungy

Back