Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I want a 100

warrenpfo

Hi all since I last posted I have not had much luck finding my dream 100. It’s got me down to the point where I have been thinking maybe a Hilux, Navara or Isuzu would do but I want to give it a last big push.

The dream is, and tell me if I have no chance:

2001-2003
4.2l Diesel Auto
Under 100 000 miles
Good service history preferably a FSH
Good body and interior

Budget of £10k but could go to £12K although every penny over £10K eats into the add ons budget.

I have been looking at EBay, Piston head, Gumtree, Autotrader, Preloved and asked Julian to keep an eye out.

All the cars I have seen have been sold by dealers for £14K+ which may be right and so either my budget need to change or my expectations.

If you see a good car let me know, I am Windsor based but happy to travel to take a look.

Unless I have a professional with me I want it to go to Julian’s first before I buy.

To give you an idea I spent just over your top budget for a 1999 with 70,000 on it

i have to say mate 10 grand for a 2001-2003 is a tough ask, they are out there but hens teeth at that price with those specs.

Think about your list of wants, why that age? You'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between a well cared for 07 plate and a well cared for 99! There are a couple of mechanical snurglies which those wiser than me could brief you on but i think a lot were sorted by recalls...

Mileage... irrelevant on that engine i think as long as it's been looked after, try and get one thats got less than half a million though ;)

Maybe give a little ground on your specs....?

The reason for the 2000 and older is I believe and please correct me if i am wrong that the.....not bushings but there is a nylon something that was changed from 2000 onwards but that is the only reason I can think of.

One last thing to add is that I would not like a dark blue or Black one as I will be sending it to SA when I leave and Black or Blue cars are a no no.

I think it's a point to consider but should not guide your search, it's a fairly small issue in the grand scheme...

Where's Jon............?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I keep thinking of things to add and if i get a car thats close to 100 000 miles from my understanding is that most of the major engine work should have been done if looked after and i should still have a fair few miles left in the AHC even if i am going to swap it out closer to the time of leaving before it dies.

Registered motor dealers don't accrue feedback scores.

To be harsh, I've been looking for months, start you're moaning in 6 months time :mrgreen:

A less than 100K, full service history 2002 or newer will cost you more than 10K, fact unless you're really lucky and if it's that cheap why?

Paul said:
Registered motor dealers don't accrue feedback scores.
I wasn't aware of that. You learn something new every day ;)

Still irks me when they don't put mileage in the description. Makes you wonder what else they have left out?!?! :?

warrenpfo said:
The reason for the 2000 and older is I believe and please correct me if i am wrong that the.....not bushings but there is a nylon something that was changed from 2000 onwards but that is the only reason I can think of.
Some time in May 2001 manufacture date was when they fixed the torque converter thrust washer issue. Prior to that manufacture date there are a lot of cases of failed gearbox. At 100k you still couldn't be sure you had a good one unless it was known to have been changed. The symptoms are intermitant so not easy to evaluate good or bad i.e. it just might not have misbehaved while it was test driven and you can't examine the parts without taking it all to bits anyway. Assuming you want a diesel I don't think a lot else changed till the new gearbox and face lift for 03 models. For the petrol motors from mid 99 they got some extra electronic aids like ATRAC, VSC etc.

I don't pay much attention to the prices so can't help you with that.

If they dont put the mileage I never bother, they must have something to hide.

Warren, if its as good as it sounds, be very fast
Service history?

I have already asked if I could see it this weekend and that i was happy to travel to where ever the car was coming from but it has been PX to a dealer and then coming to these guys so its had a good chunk added to it already price wise but I have asked for first refusal when it comes in.

When it gets closer to the time I was going to ask if anyone is free to take a look with me and I also want to ask if they would mind if I took it to Julian to give the once over.

Sounds too good to be true but one never knows.

Am i right in saying that the 03 has a 5 speed auto box where the 02 has a 4 speed auto box?

Back