Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Iceland 2017 - some photos but assume people dont care for narrative!

Bmonck

Supporter
Country Flag
england
A truly terrific trip. TLC80 in its element. :sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 TLC80 at home.jpg 2 Hull Docks IMG_3016.JPG 3 Partial Route map IMG_3885.PNG 4 early camp IMG_3209.JPG 5 Gullfoss IMG_3167.JPG 6 Hill Climb  508.jpg 7 Rough roads DSC03075_resized.JPG 8 great mts IMG_3272.JPG 9 Warning signs IMG_3568.JPG 10 River crossing Iceland 2017 119.jpg 11 River crossing  87.JPG 12 in the centre IMG_3354.JPG 13 mid point camp IMG_3561.JPG 14 Caldera lake IMG_3615.JPG 15 Heading out IMG_3791.JPG 16 Heading home  368.JPG 17 another river  469.JPG 18 Climbing out  510.JPG 19 making tracks 541.JPG

Nice, I recognise a few of the trails from my trip there in 2015

Pictures tell their own story. Very nice.

Thanks guys. Guided by Paul Blackburn. Would really recommend him

Thanks for these. What was the temperature like? That looks like Gullfoss without ice and snow in pic 5. And pic 14 is an amazing pic. It is an epic place, it gets to be scenery overload, I would love to do what you've done there some day.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We were incredibly lucky with the weather. Mostly warm and dry. Some days were 15-20 degrees - yes really. But also suffered a couple of howling wind storms though in the centre of the country. You have to take clothing for all possibilities. We were there two and half weeks but to be honest it would be easy to stay longer. It is like having Patagonia on our doorstep.

Looks amazing! :icon-biggrin:

Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

fantastic.
every year I say I'm going to book the ferry. every year I tell myself ive got too much on, make it next year.

I think I'm going to sit down with a ruck of beer and my laptop, debit card placed on the table next to me like a loaded gun, slowly drink the beer whilst listening to the doors. then pull the trigger.

no backing out then..

Great pictures! Seems like a great trip!

On one pic I see lot's of vehicles (including a bus), I originally imagined you wouldn't see to many cars, but is this not the case?

Great pics.

It's such a shame you can't catch the ferry from Scrabster any longer. I was going to book the crossing then found the only entry point for my dog was via air so impossible to do.

wow some fantastic shots there.. i particularly enjoyed the "obruadar ar" sign which is pretty reassuring in that the water wont be too deep followed by your over the bonnet crossing photo!

Note to self, be wary the obruadar ar!

Amazing... one on the bucket list for me too...

Great pictures! Seems like a great trip!

On one pic I see lot's of vehicles (including a bus), I originally imagined you wouldn't see to many cars, but is this not the case?

Depends where you are. Some areas are extremely remote (we drove the central road and met a couple of trucks and some lunatic cyclists), others are actually quite touristy and easy enough to get to.

Been twice now - fantastic country. You don't really need a guide TBH, we did the last trip in 2 Defenders and just worked out the routes ourselves from maps and talking to people.

If there is enough of us who want to make the trip, could we reach out and speak with Paul, see if we can do a trip for the group?

Hi guys
Thanks for all the nice comments. It is an awesome place to visit.
Responding to two questions above:
1. Gary Giles - car was shipped with samskip. You can see them in the back of the port photo at Immingham. All super efficient but not cheap. If I remember right it was about €1600 return or about £1300. Pricey but so is everything in Iceland.
Key question is was it worth the price? I would say definitely.
2. AlexanderVB - Dave S is correct. It depends where you are. We did some wild camping completely on our own. Some interior roads are very empty. Coast roads are With tarmac and quite full. Also in some areas there are popular campsites which are served
By intrepid bus drivers e g for people to walk to that lake so can be busy. Of course in the summer the locals also like to get out and about round the coastal zones.
Cheers

Back