Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Iceland crash...

The Icelandic guy on the news was saying they are struggling to work out how they managed to crash there, it seems a bit odd

:text-+1:
Lynn saw this online. I thought it odd and tragic when I heard it. Awful.
Thoughts with the families.

Very sad and tragic for both families got to have been a christmas treat and it will never be the same for the survivors hope there is no more loss of life for them thoughts go with them

Horrible story, hopefully not a forum member, but terrible tragedy for those involved. I read other reports saying that this bridge was an accident black spot. Very sad

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The report I saw said the bridge was icy and that it was a rented vehicle so it could have been a driver unused to that type of transport, but often initial reports can be wrong. Terrible accident with toddlers killed.

Visibly in that area can be bad too - the fine volcanic sand blows across the roads and vis can be poor - like driving in a sand storm. Not sure it would explain going off the bridge though. Tragedy for all involved.

How terrible, even worse somehow when kids lose their lives... thoughts go out to the families and the utter desperation the driver must be facing...

The report I saw said the bridge was icy and that it was a rented vehicle so it could have been a driver unused to that type of transport, but often initial reports can be wrong. Terrible accident with toddlers killed.
The report I heard was that the temp was around 6 degrees so no ice, it also sounds like the vehicle was carrying too many people.

Nasty to hear.
I drove across that bridge in my Hilux in 2015, don’t remember it being tricky at all.

The report I heard was that the temp was around 6 degrees so no ice, it also sounds like the vehicle was carrying too many people.
Report said 7 people, not too many for a cruiser.

I've seen the news, my condolences to the families.
From what I've read it sounds like they might have hit a bit of ice and lost control. I also saw the report that it's a rental car so it is very likely that the driver wasn't used to driving a large car like this which can give one a false sense of speed and road conditions. The reason I think this is because they must have been traveling at some speed to go through those barriers, I'm not familiar with that bridge at all but to go through barriers on a bridge can't be easy.

Report said 7 people, not too many for a cruiser.
That rather depends on the cruiser. I would argue that even in a 7 seater in that terrain, with gear, that’s too many, especially if you aren’t used to driving a vehicle of that type and/or driving in those conditions.
I would like to know the capacity of the vehicle and whether they were all wearing appropriate restraints, including child restraints.
I understand the baby was in a proper seat, but one of the deceased was found outside the vehicle.
‘Chief Superintendent Sveinn Kristjan Runarsson said the road was not thought to have been icy, but humidity could have made the bridge's surface - which is made of steel - slippery.’
Although also said was
"Our transportation system has not been maintained properly after the financial crisis and it is under a lot of stress due to the two million tourists that visit every year, excluding the local population of course."

Last edited:
To be fair, the roads in Iceland are always challenging - I've been over the bridge in question - shouldn't have been an issue, but many variables. I do think tourists assume a level of safety that is not comparative to mainland Europe. Example - volcanic activity can cause 6-18" changes in roads literally within minutes, the volcanic sands sweep in quickly.. this is not your normal tourist route, regardless of the vehicle.

Tragic accident.

It does amaze me from the how people can draw conclusions from limited new coverage before the investigation is complete. 7 people in the car, 4 adults, 2 children and a baby in a car seat. How is it ok to exceed GVM by several hundred kg for an overlander but a similar vehicle with 7 seats and occupants, probably below GVM, is overloaded?

Tragic accident.

It does amaze me from the how people can draw conclusions from limited new coverage before the investigation is complete. 7 people in the car, 4 adults, 2 children and a baby in a car seat. How is it ok to exceed GVM by several hundred kg for an overlander but a similar vehicle with 7 seats and occupants, probably below GVM, is overloaded?
No one said it was, but most overlanders have experience in their vehicle and driving in difficult conditions.
How do you know the vehicle had 7 seats? I haven’t seen that mentioned.

Last edited:
Well chances are it was either a Prado 150 or a 200 series LC, both are 7 seaters, even if it was an older model afaik since the 95series they have all been 7 seaters. I doubt a rental company would hire a car to 7 people if it didn't have enough seats

No one said it was, but most overlanders have experience in their vehicle and difficult conditions.
How do you know the vehicle had 7 seats? I haven’t seen that mentioned.
You said it was too many, in your previous post you said "I would argue that even in a 7 seater in that terrain that’s too many"

Back