Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Icky oil pick up

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Changed oil today and thought I'd better try and look at the oil pickup, having changed injectors about 7K miles ago. Not pretty. Problem is I didn't look at it before I changed the injectors so it could have been bad for a while, or it could be a new injector isn't sealing.

IMG_1608.JPG

Either way the sump will have to come off. Ordered a Laser sump seal splitting tool and that's next weekend's jobs lining up already.

Not Good Rob, i hope its just build up from the old injectors. i took my sump off when i first got the LC for peice of mind. i just used a stanley knife round the seal. then a couple of flat bars, i dont remeber it giving me a fight.

Hope nothing serious.

Indeed, getting the lower sump off is quite straight forward. Used a scraper to get it going.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Look up into the sump through the drain hole. Actually held my phone under there because the light is next to the camera lens, and I'd rather oil drip on my phone than my eye. I've got a USB endoscope but the pick up mesh is so close to the drain hole it wouldn't focus.

Nasty. I'm gonna change the oil on mine soon, was thinking of pulling the lower sump off and cleaning the pickup at the same time. I definitely will be now.

Well rather than do it in the cold at night, I waited to do it in the daylight in the snow. Didn't realise it was only the little sub-sump that needs to come off so pretty simple. Even with mostly just my left hand having done something nasty to my shoulder yesterday.

IMG_1620.JPG

So not the cleanest pick up I've ever seen but also not the worst. Plenty of little gritty bits stuck in the mesh. At least I know now when it was last clean. I'll have another look in3-4K miles.

Well rather than do it in the cold at night, I waited to do it in the daylight in the snow. Didn't realise it was only the little sub-sump that needs to come off so pretty simple. Even with mostly just my left hand having done something nasty to my shoulder yesterday.

View attachment 113622

So not the cleanest pick up I've ever seen but also not the worst. Plenty of little gritty bits stuck in the mesh. At least I know now when it was last clean. I'll have another look in3-4K miles.

Hi Rob

Any news on your recheck of the mesh? Maybe you've not done the miles yet...

I'll be doing an oil change on mine in a few weeks and intend to check the mesh out at the same time.

Many thanks (with fingers crossed for you!)

Hi Rob

Any news on your recheck of the mesh? Maybe you've not done the miles yet...

I'll be doing an oil change on mine in a few weeks and intend to check the mesh out at the same time.

Many thanks (with fingers crossed for you!)

I haven't looked yet. Done 2.5K miles since the last change. Probably give it another 500-1000 miles, so it at least by then it should be obvious if there is or isn't a problem.

4000 miles later I thought I'd change the oil and have another look at the strainer. Was going to pull the sump for a proper look but as the view through the sump plug hole looks good and because I'm a bit busy this week I'll leave that now until the 10K service.

Oil splashed up *a lot* from my bowl which is why the bottom of the sump appears to have been dipped in it!

(in 6K).
IMG_2302.JPG

4000 miles later I thought I'd change the oil and have another look at the strainer. Was going to pull the sump for a proper look but as the view through the sump plug hole looks good and because I'm a bit busy this week I'll leave that now until the 10K service.

Oil splashed up *a lot* from my bowl which is why the bottom of the sump appears to have been dipped in it!

(in 6K).View attachment 130379
Many thanks for the update, much appreciated. Glad it looks nice and clean!

Last edited:
Many thanks for the update, much appreciated. Glad it looks nice and clean!

This was the good bit of my maintenance day, before I started on the handbrake shoes! Have you done yours yet? What did the mesh look like?

This was the good bit of my maintenance day, before I started on the handbrake shoes! Have you done yours yet? What did the mesh look like?
Not done mine yet. I'm about to go on the search for some half decent oil, then hope to change it within the next 10 days. I'll update soon.

IMG_3678.PNG

Managed to get to my oil change today having finally found some decent oil. To be honest, I had the local Toyota garage do it (under watchful supervision) as their labour charge for changing the oil, oil filter and fuel filter was a whopping £4.50. Why wouldn't you?!

Thankfully the oil strainer was clean as you can see.

Back