Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Idiot Light Lighting up - Lost all power in the fast lane...

James GrP

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi All,

Just got back from a long trip in Wales, yes it rained as per usual :)

My truck had an issue on the M4 whilest in the fast lane that was a worry.
While cruising the Engine Warning light lit and I lost power, no acceleration - had to drift over to the hard shoulder, no other lights came on - all gauges were nominal.
Turned off the Truck and restarted it right away and the Engine light was gone.
This happened a further 3 times during the trip, each time after a restart all was good, a little worrying while on the motorway.
Anyone have any idea's why this can happen, I guess I need to get a diagnostic module but would that have historic data or only current.
Any idea's let me know - all looks fine in the engine bay - all also sounds fine.

Hi James, whilst this may be one of many potential problems a similar thing happened to me when I first got my first 100 about 7 years ago. Outside lane M1 engine stopped and had to coast off and be recovered. Engine light on no startee.
Had a second pair of eyes on it, he pumped the primer on the filter head and it started. Changed the fuel filter and its been fine since.
Now this might well not be your problem but its on a 100 and similar.

Thanks for your reply Andy!
Sounds similar but I lost power as in I could not bring up the revs via throttle, when I finally stopped the engine was ticking over just fine, the engine just would not rev, soon as I restarted she was fine.
Very odd!

My Merc Sprinter did something similar a while back it turned out to be the brake light switch.

@James GrP

I had similar issues, turned out to be the IP SCV connector, it’s a known weakness on the 100. I did both fuel filters first and then started to check hoses. Then found a post about roll over protection and Injection pump. Looked at plug and there was damage. Did wiggle test whilst running and it cut out. Plug had been replaced once by Toyota when I looked back through the history so replaced it with 2 pins and sealant. See my previous tread for further info, think it was called stalling issues.

Back