Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Idle Up switch

denjil

Country Flag
malta
Hi all,

The Japanese and some other region 90's have the idle up option installed.

Has anyone retrofitted this on a UK / Euro model please? If so, on which ecu pin does this have to be wired?

Thanks,
Daniel
1587_P1010118_1.jpg

My '97 GS model didn't have one. I retro-fitted it as the wiring loom was in place and it was just a matter of plugging the switch in.

Not something I use very often TBH! I tend to idle up when I'm defrosting the car, but am not convinced it makes much difference.

P.s. before I installed it I thought it would just increase the idle permanently at the flick of a switch, which would potentially be useful e.g. for crawling over rough ground. Unfortunately it doesn't: the ECU can tell when the engine is under load or if you apply even a tiny bit of throttle, and it reverts to a normal idle :icon-cry::snooty:. It really is only for warming the car up when idling in cold conditions (and not much use for that).

Last edited:
Well thanks Daniel, that is one question answered! I "THOUGHT" I knew what Idle Up meant or was intended for but was not 100% sure and planned to ask at some stage - no need now !:):):)

I don't know anything about winching. Is the idle up switch of any use when you have heavy battery usage, like when winching?

I don't know anything about winching. Is the idle up switch of any use when you have heavy battery usage, like when winching?
Can’t hurt to have the revs up slightly to get some juice flowing from the alternator and get some good airflow through it under heavy load.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My D4D 90 has one and it's a pointless thing if you ask me - serves no purpose ?

I've just checked my manual

"Heater idle up switch:
Push the switch to increase the engine speed. Push the switch once again to return the engine to the normal idle speed.
Use the heater idle up switch to boost heating effect in extremely cold conditions when the vehicle is not moving."

As I said above though, I've never noticed any benefit - mine takes ages to warm up an a cold morning, switch or no.

Back