Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ignition barrel

Jake the Peg

Country Flag
scotland
ok, so I’m not able to give much information but still asking for help, again!
I’ve given my sister my 80 while I’m in Denmark and I’ve had a call to say they can’t get the key to go all the way into the barrel, it still works in the door, I only have one key, yes I know!
It’s likely I’m sure the barrel is knackere, but does anyone have any ideas from historical experience?
It’s a manual so I don’t think there will be an interlock as in the autos
Thanks in advance

J

sounds like the levers in the barrel are worn.
the levers and the key can wear. sometimes the door and hatch locks seize, the cast aluminium barrel corrodes, the levers are brass.
ive stripped the door locks before and freed up the levers, ive even taken out the levers from one corroded barrel and put them into a good barrel before. keep an eye on the tiny springs!
funnily enough I had a phone call yesterday.
"ay up. ive been told you stock lock and key sets?"
"yes mate"
"ill take one"
"no worries"
"how much to fit it?"
"blah,blah"
"great, how much to run up to tool station car park in stoke as I cant start my ####### cruiser!"
"blah,blah"
"nice one, see you in 40 mins.."

what I will say is as soon as they start playing up, replace. as once you cant get the key in fully to release the barrel it makes the job all that much harder.

Hi Mike, yeah I’ve done lock barrels before but now I’m sponsored by specsavers I’d rather not bother I think they can get the key in now but it won’t turn, will see if there is a spare key at the previous owners and try that, but likely it’s going to be parked in their field till I get home next week and work out what to do

Cheers

no worries, let me know if you want a ignition barrel and key set sending out. if they can turn the key to the ACC position its only a 15 min job.
you can square up when you get back.

Much for ignition barrel n key set chapel gate?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In one hand I guess I have been lucky again, it looks like my bro in law pulled the key out in the acc position so it was easy to pop the little button and remove the barrel, but no way I ca get it turning, the old scrap 80 local to me is still there so another freebie and I’m mobile again, I guess the only downside is now I have 2 keys, although I may dig out the grinder and cut the door locks from the old doors?

When you've got worn levers in the barrel and you can't seemingly get the key in or out, it sometimes works if you stand outside the truck and reach in with your left / right hand to push the key into position.

The lever's wear relative to the position in which the key is put in and as everyone climbs in and then tries to put the key in from a seated position, it tends to wear in the same position. If you change your location, it does, sometimes, work.

Obviously it isn't a long term fix but it is a useful trick I picked up from an AA chap.

Well it certainly makes sense. Nice tip Guy. Could get you out of a spot for sure. I guess using your spare key (if you have one) might also work.

Back