Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Immobiliser fob and central locking key

Spinglehoffer1

Country Flag
uk
1996 Prado 3.4 litre - Central locking key went a couple of years ago - my response "i'll sort that when i have time" still working on it! Had to use spare key and spare immobiliser fob this week as battery needed changing and now spare immobiliser fob not working!!. Hear you can buy new fobs on ebay and re set/programme to your vehicle yourself ?

And, is it worth/or can you get/fix central locking key? Off to the land of Guinness for my cleverer half's big birthday and would hate to be stranded if i lose my only working fob!! HELP

Hold both buttons down while in or near the car for 30 seconds to resynch

Hi Shane,

Thanks for quick response but didn't understand, you will have to pretend you are explaining to and idiot, me!.

Just to clarify my 2nd fob and spare key have been in a drawer for some time and rarely used, also now i look closer at fob where it has separated, as i understand they all do, it looks damaged. The button on shoulder of the key to operate the central locking has not worked for some time although central locking works when i use key in drivers door. Tried changing the battery but no luck. Was considering trying to get it replaced but warned against it due to cost? Hope that makes sense!

Ok , i had some luck repairing broken buttons buy using a paper hole punch which is just the right size to give you a very thin plastic spacer to glue inside the button rubber so when you press the outer button it makes good contact with the tiny real button which is on the circuit board .

Worth a try but you can get these fobs repaired .

If the red light comes on but it doesnt lock/unlock then it just needs resynched as above

Also in the top left corner - as you stand in front of the car looking at it , theres a button that the bonnet presses when closed , its on a feeble bracket and if the bracket gets bent the button doesnt get pressed and the car won't lock coz it thinks you left the bonnet open

Hi Shane, tried to resynch but no luck, presumable ok to prize fob open to place spacer in inside fob? Couldn't find/identify button under bonnet, i am looking top left corner as i look at it so towards the windscreen, only bracket i can identify is one holding bonnet?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
0519BE91-02AF-47C4-9A1D-E43EF5D48450.jpeg

And yes its ok to pull the fobs apart , my spare was left in a drawer with a dead battery for i dont know how many years but it resynched no bother at all when i replaced the battery .

Theres a screw holding it together by the way which i mention only because it was hidden under a sticker on one of my fobs , once thats taken out it comes apart easy and what have you got to lose if its broke anyway .

Hi Shane,

Here' s the open and now damaged fob. Couldn't see anything that resembles a battery and the wire adjacent to the spring came away while fiddling with it, seems i am going to be looking for a new one, any suggestion would be appreciated. Tried loading pic of engine similar to yours without success, seems i have the similar copper bracelet as you and holes for bolts to attach button, but no button!
Fob.jpg

That does not resemble any genuine Toyota fob i ever seen , and if the bonnet switch looks like its been removed as well then i'm inclined to guess a previous owner got around this problem with an inventive hash up his own .

Maybe you should try a universal car remote , i know little about them but theres a bunch of vids on youtube about how to program them .

Cheers Shayne will have a look on youtube as that may be the best option in the long run. Checked inside the fob and the name Toyota can be read with a magnifying glass also has a few numbers that cannot. The location where your bonnet switch is has the holes to accept the bolts to hold the switch but they don't look like they have ever been used, no wear inside and paint is still in there! Do you think the particular Prado model RZ may make a difference ?

Tks Steve

I really don't know Steve yours i believe might be the only RZ ever mentioned on the forum . Have we seen it at all ?

I will grab the mrs ipad so i can post a pic (something i can't do using win10:angry-cussingblack:) of the only 2 types of 90 series fob/keys i have ever seen and the only ones i can find on google .

Perhaps if you can show us how your fob is supposed to look someone might recognize it from a different Toyota ?

I really don't know Steve yours i believe might be the only RZ ever mentioned on the forum . Have we seen it at all ?

I will grab the mrs ipad so i can post a pic (something i can't do using win10:angry-cussingblack:) of the only 2 types of 90 series fob/keys i have ever seen and the only ones i can find on google .

Perhaps if you can show us how your fob is supposed to look someone might recognize it from a different Toyota ?

E6893F44-A615-485F-91D9-76BC5D254D67.jpeg

Back