Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Importing a diesel 80 from Japan

RLC

Country Flag
uk
I’m looking into importing a 4.2 VX auto diesel from Japan due to struggling to find a decent one over here. Does anyone have any tips (looking to buy direct via Japanese car trade.com) and know how different the VX spec is compared to over here. Thanks.

Jap spec is unlikely to have locking diffs, but might have loads of strange add-ons like massive chrome front bumper, huge yellow spot lights etc.

However, the underside might be in much better state than a UK 80 of the same age

Triple lock was an option, but if you insist on a locked car then just be aware that some people in Japan have fitted a switch to the dash to make it look like it has them. Always get this double checked.

Stay away from cars Hokkaido as they salt the roads there and cars do rust.
Generally the cars will be amazing underneath compared to a UK car.

I advise you use an agent who can inspect the car for you.

Speak to Torque GT in the south west.
They can give you access to the Japanese auction system so you can look though the cars available.
If you’re looking for an Auto then you’ll have plenty of choice.
Manuals are hard to come by.
Once you’ve seen something your interested in then they can send an agent to check the car and send photos of the underneath.

Just a curved ball but have you considered from South Africa? I’ve been search for a 70 and in doing so found some really nice 80’s and other models. I have a contact that would be happy to help you out

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There’s also a guy in Newcastle that will give you access to the Jap auctions and deal etc. bhpimports.co.uk

What would be a ball park figure for the final job? Shame the Brazilians are left hookers.

What would be a ball park figure for the final job? Shame the Brazilians are left hookers.

The one my dad imported 3 years ago cost £15k plus VAT, but it was a manual so It took some finding.
Probably more now though.
Not cheap although its the best driving 80 I've ever driven.

Back