Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Importing vintage

Dereks40Darryl

Country Flag
ireland
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone had experience with importing vintage cruiser into Ireland which has been off the road for years and has no log book/ registration certificate .. seems to be almost impossible task..

Where are you importing from ?
What's the issue ... getting it registered or just being allowed to bring it in ?
From personal experience in the UK it's no problem bringing any old vehicle into the UK with our without registration or even never having been registered .
You need to pay any import duty due , get a NOVA form and then if it's old get the vehicle age verified and also prove it is what it is , send that proof along with a registration form and a cheque and you get an age related registration number and registration document.
It can be interesting filling the form in as on old vehicles often many parts of the form don't apply .
Maybe Ireland is different ...... try asking the vintage tractor boys how they do it as I know they often import stuff from other countries

Thanks for Grimbo,
Have been onto vintage club and helped a bit alright but transport office here still won’t let me register it until I ‘find’ log book of some sort so they can verify its life.
I have brought it in and paid all duty etc , just getting it registered on an Irish reg plate is proving interesting.

If you talk to the Toyota Enthusiasts Club they will be able to sort you a dating certificate for your 40, it was the only way I could get one for my OZ 40

Thanks David,
I will give them shout and see if they can help out or point me in right direction.

The is a procedure for registering a vehicle with no tax book, but not sure if it applies to a newly imported one. You declare the vehicle, get the form stamped by an authorised dealer who can verify the VIN number and get the form signed by a justice of the peace or commissioner of oaths. I did this for a tractor with no documentation a few years ago. Best of luck

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Folks, looking to an import a 78 FJ40, so over 40 years old. Would I be able to drive it away from the port, or would I need to get it transported home? So I think I need to pay the 5% vat and complete a NOVA and get insurance, can this all be completed before the FJ40 arrives? Any other advice would be great for folks who have done it before.
Thanks

I think it would be best to arrange transport home then deal with the paperwork ....
NOVA is pretty simple , to register it you may need age verification from Toyota GB or a dealer ... it's all fairly simple but can take time and often requires photos as supporting evidence but that's from experience of doing it on vehicles nearly twice the age of the FJ40 .

I think it would be best to arrange transport home then deal with the paperwork ....
NOVA is pretty simple , to register it you may need age verification from Toyota GB or a dealer ... it's all fairly simple but can take time and often requires photos as supporting evidence but that's from experience of doing it on vehicles nearly twice the age of the FJ40 .
Thanks, will speak to the company to see if that can be included, I have photos of the Indonesian documentation detail the first registration wonder if that will be enough?

Hi, no you can’t drive it until it is registered except for a pre arranged MoT or IVA or to a garage for remedial work for either of these.

You will need to use complete a V55/5 available to download from the Gov.uk website and send it to DVLA with the documents you have from Indonesia, But be warned DVLA are useless and be prepared to fight them for correct registration, though used should be easier than new. You will need to include the NOVA.

Gr8Yota.....
DVLA are random .... but recently been pretty good with our type of WW2 era vehicles although that may be because they have no real idea what a Dodge Weapons Carrier or International M5A1 really look like or indeed are . ;-)

DVLA don’t know what anything is!
Yes the WW2 and post war era etc is easier I have friends who do this regularly

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone had experience with importing vintage cruiser into Ireland which has been off the road for years and has no log book/ registration certificate .. seems to be almost impossible task.. I am going to buy one on sca.auction in Long Island but thinking at the moment about its logistics.
Here are some things to consider if you are planning to import a vintage vehicle into Ireland:
  1. Vehicle eligibility: In order to be imported into Ireland, a vintage vehicle must meet certain eligibility requirements. For example, it must be at least 30 years old, and it must have been built to standards that are equivalent to those in place in the European Union.
  2. Import taxes and duties: Depending on the age and value of the vehicle, you may be required to pay import taxes and duties when bringing it into Ireland.
  3. Vehicle inspection: All vehicles imported into Ireland must undergo a vehicle inspection to ensure that they meet safety and emissions standards. This can be a lengthy and expensive process, especially for vintage vehicles that may require significant repairs or upgrades.
  4. Insurance: You will need to obtain insurance for your vintage vehicle before you can drive it in Ireland. This can be challenging, as some insurance companies may not cover vintage vehicles or may charge higher premiums due to the increased risk.

Last edited:
Back