Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Inaccurate Speedometer

WendyWA

Country Flag
australia
The speedometer on my car (2021 LC200)is reading 6kms faster than actual speed, at 110kmh. My dealer has told me there is nothing they can do and that it is within the 10% differential allowed. Is this correct, without me having to purchase and fit a separate part, can they recalibrate it for me during a service. Very frustrating to have to have the GPS on my phone on display when driving, and being abused for going too slow …..

Ya that’s safety n keeps us happy that v r doing 80 mph yet dosent attract speeding tickets. Not just LC all cars I had did that. Speedo 70mph - actual 65-66mph, Speedo 80mph- actual 74-75mph

Following wifey picking up a speeding ticket from a fixed camera (luckily she got a speeding course instead of points) i've put one of these in each car.
Sits unobtrusively on the top of the dash, being GPS if you are climbing a hill the display can be momentarily out by a couple of mph, but otherwise its a handy little accurate speedometer just off eyeline, neither of us look at the car speedometer much any more.

Note for Oz especially, cover the unit (we use those reflective shades when the car is stood to save the dashboard anyway) when the sun's heat is high because the unit will stop working if it gets seriously overheated, this happened only once but remember this is the UK where the sun avoids showing itself except on clear winter days to blind you :expressionless:, and once cooled down the unit started working again and hasn't failed since.

Interestingly, this unit has shown the 120 speedo to be absolutely accurate on the correct sized AT tyres, and our Forester to only be 1mph out at 70mph on its correct sized tyres, but remember also there might be a slight overall speed alteration as the tyre tread wears, probably around 1mph difference for typical sizes on our Toyotas.

You might find the unit cheaper somewhere else.

Also of interest you mention getting abused for driving too slow, my son who is now in Aus noticed how regimented drivers are out there and how, shall we say, 'authoritarian' the police are.

Contact Mark's 4x4 in Australia as they do speedo adjustment units. Simple plug and play on mine (80 series) you can adjust the speedo as you drive and set it at whatever you like. Once adjusted, you just forget about it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back