Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Indicators and Hazards not working

Grae Aus

Country Flag
australia
Hi guys,
need the brain trust here .
So the indicators and hazards stopped working suddenly on my 1999 Troopy HZJ78R .
Globes are fine, bought new flasher relay , that didn't help.
Google says it could be a ECU-IG2 fuse but i dont have a user manual to locate this with.
Can any one point me in the right direction please ?

Cheers
Grae

From a websearch

TURN SIGNAL AND HAZARD WARNING SYSTEM:

Symptom

Suspect Area

"Hazard" and "Turn" do not light up. 1. ECU-IG2 Fuse
2. TURN HAZ Fuse
3. Ignitioin Switch
4. Turn Signal Flasher Relay 5. Wire Harness

I cant find the ECU-IG2 fuse to check it
I think I am going crazy, haven't had the troopy long

Normally two fuse boxes. One under the bonnet and one somewhere near the knee are of the dash. If it has an alarm, do the lights flash when you lock it?

No alarm
I will go hunting for under bonnet fuse box tomorrow
Its had a few diff mods so I don't know whats what in there
Oh to have a owners manual

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good grief. Search for your vehicle. That's just what what I was looking at Grae. I don't have the full details of your particular vehicle. It'll be in there somewhere fella. I saw quite a few links to owner's manuals in pdf format. Have a squizz around. I'm sure there'll be one.

Not being difficult, everytime I tried to search it asked for a login
And It seems the Troopy isn't listed on there

Cheers for the help though

No way? That's an odd one. But still, the Troopy must be based on something that's in there. Hmm. Going in for a look.

I'm struggling a bit too but it might be the case that this isn't how the fuse is referred to int he fuse box. I have found some stuff that uses that code but then on the fuse panel it's listed differently Usually ECU B is there but ECU A is often not. Looks like fuse 7 might be the one for turn signals. If in doubt pull every one and check it.

If the hazard switch is unplugged the indicators wont work either. Don't know if this helps. Does the little illumination come on on the hazard switch?

I
No way? That's an odd one. But still, the Troopy must be based on something that's in there. Hmm. Going in for a look.

Oh I got excited that my search was over.
I looked for a 78 manual too but I couldn’t locate one either.
FYI I also couldn’t find a 1992 80 either.
Back to the drawing board

We have a HZJ75 1996 from new. and this happens every few years. No indicators. The secret on ours is to turn the hazards on and off quite a few times and it fixes the problem. Its that simple, wether its dust on the terminals? I dont know but its a fix on our machine .... hope it works for you.

Bungarra
As crazy as it sounds I went out and tried
AND it worked !!

I have no idea what it did but I have indicators again, I was literally ringing the Auto electrician when I tried your suggestion.

Cheers
heaps
Graeme

Dirty switch.
Could even be hardened grease that needs loosening up a bit.

Great use of this forum.

my indicators are also not working... 75 series. 1998 1hz troop carrier. tried the hazards on and off several times, still nothing. however when i turn the hazards on, they dont flash, just solid lights. any suggestions? took the steering column off, everything looks fine. even took the steering wheel off to check connections and everything looks good. changed fuses too. auto elec didnt know whats going on either. im stumped!!

Back