Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Information Wanted on Removing Outer and Inner Front Wings on 80 Series

ByronJ

Country Flag
wales
I plan to replace the inner front wings on my 1994 80 series but have not managed to find any information in the manuals as to how these are fitted on :cry:. I could just work it out as I go along but I would like to see a diagram first.

I am probably just making a bad job of searching:icon-redface:. So if anyone knows in what manual and section the wing fittings are described I would be very grateful if you would let me know. Thanks.

Byron

I've considered doing this on mine as the wheel arch tubs are beginning to rust badly at the front. I will be watching this thread but sadly cannot offer anything but a guess that they bolt on. [emoji53]

If the inners need replacing then you will need heat to help 21 year bolts out of everything attached to it and a grinder to remove the inner to outer wing bolts as they wont turn out of the plastic clips they are rusted into.
Just my experience as I've done it a couple of times.

If the inners need replacing then you will need heat to help 21 year bolts out of everything attached to it and a grinder to remove the inner to outer wing bolts as they wont turn out of the plastic clips they are rusted into.
Just my experience as I've done it a couple of times.

I am sure you are right Andy. The wings have holes you can put your hand through so the bolts have to be a mess. Don't suppose you have any pictures of how you went about removing them...

No sorry Byron, I just got on with it. Do you plan on taking the outer wings odd as well? If so those bolts usually come out pretty well, its the underneath ones which put up most of a fight. You could buy proper Toyota fasteners to re assemble inner to outer but I used Wurth speed clips and matching screws.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've considered doing this on mine as the wheel arch tubs are beginning to rust badly at the front. I will be watching this thread but sadly cannot offer anything but a guess that they bolt on. [emoji53]

Once I bite the bullet I will post a progress report with pictures :icon-wink:.

Really not that hard Byron.

As andy says some bolts may snap off though. Use six sided sockets or those special ones that grip the flat part of the bolt.

take outer wings off. Bolts ontop of wing. Two bolts at the back attactching to sill. Two attactching to the small indicator pannel. Then the ones joining the inner and outer.

Inner wing bolts two 12mm to the bulkhead at the bottom then two higher up on both sides. Take all the bits that are bolted to them off as well. Then you have two 12mm that bolt it to the front pannel.

Not that big of a job if it all comes off easily.

Thanks for the Advice and Information

Andy and Karl, thanks for your advice and information guys. The weather is wild down here so I should get a chance to get on with the job this afternoon...

Hi Byron, have been looking for pic's of inner wings and there are a few on the '80 series Resurrection' thread, the one below shows the bulkhead end with the 4 boltholes running vertically and the 2 holes running horizontally to hold the 'mudguard' steady. These 2 bolt into pressed steel pedestals which are welded to the outer footwell area of the bulkhead and can be in a very poor state. Good luck..

012_8.jpg

Bonding of Inner and Outer Wing

Thanks for that photo Chris. Good to see what the inner wing looks like in isolation.

I have removed all the bolts on one outer wing (3 bolts gave serious trouble) but cannot remove it from the car as it is bonded so firmly to the inner wing :wtf:.

I have used a fair bit of force with no joy. Tomorrow I will scrape away as much of the under seal and paint as I can and perhaps try some heat. I know they have been stuck together for 21 years but there is no give whatsoever :(.

Andy/Karl - have you found the bond to be so strong in your experience?

Oh and I was almost completely stuffed by the bolt that is situated in the gap when the door is opened as the car is in the garage and I could only just open the door far enough! Cannot move the car as I removed the the front suspension and control arms yesterday to fit new shocks, springs and bushes. Bushes are on their way from UAE so that could have held me up for a while but a 3/8" socket just slipped in :icon-biggrin:.

Yes the bonding stuff sticks well. Dont know about Andy but I've used flat screwdrivers and prized the inner and outer apart.

Yes the bonding stuff sticks well. Dont know about Andy but I've used flat screwdrivers and prized the inner and outer apart.

Cheers Karl. I was not expecting such a strong bond so was wondering if I had missed some clips etc.

Yes they can be a battle but if you run round the joint with a heat gun and really warm it up it really does soften it to get them apart.

Yes they can be a battle but if you run round the joint with a heat gun and really warm it up it really does soften it to get them apart.

Thanks guys. Ten minutes with heat, screwdriver and a sharp chisel and the wing came away easily enough :icon-biggrin:.

Then my heart sank when I saw how much stuff is bolted to the inner wing :icon-eek:. So time to get a pen and paper to make some notes else I will never get it all back together again...

Plenty of pics Byron, that helps put it all back.

Wings Removed

My brother came over yesterday to give me a hand and by the end of the day we had removed both outer wings and inner wings :icon-biggrin:. Everything was very dry and most bolts feed up easily as the car has been stored in my garage for two years and this last week I have been liberal with the WD40 spray.

Nevertheless we had a few broken bolts (as expected near the holes in the inner wings) but otherwise all went well. It is amazing/scary how much stuff is bolted to the inner wings though - including the gas support struts for the bonnet. A very fiddly and time consuming job but I am pleased we tackled it as water and muck had got through the holes in the inner wings and started to rust the outer wings from the inside. The outer wings can be treated as it is just surface rust but the inner wings are well rotted.

Now to treat the outer wings, patch up the replacement inner wings and put it all back together :icon-rolleyes:.

Does anyone know where I can buy the little plastic clips that push through holes in the inner wing to hold cables down?

Back