Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Inherited 1995 Looking for Update Info

Chuckles864

Country Flag
united_states
We've recently acquired an 80 series from an uncle. It's seen better days but runs pretty good. I'm hoping to update as I replace and clean it up. I've found mirrors online but would love to find some with the flasher on them. As well as halo headlights, dash instrument upgrades... you get the idea. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and to some rewiring. I'm planning on replacing the entire carpet so it will be opened up quite a bit. Any advice on where to acquire these items would be appreciated. Also, any knowledge on if any newer LCs have the same fittings. It would be a sweet to just drop in a 2015 dash and shift section but, of course, that is highly unlikely.

Thanks all. Look forward to some feedback.

We've recently acquired an 80 series from an uncle. It's seen better days but runs pretty good. I'm hoping to update as I replace and clean it up. I've found mirrors online but would love to find some with the flasher on them. As well as halo headlights, dash instrument upgrades... you get the idea. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and to some rewiring. I'm planning on replacing the entire carpet so it will be opened up quite a bit. Any advice on where to acquire these items would be appreciated. Also, any knowledge on if any newer LCs have the same fittings. It would be a sweet to just drop in a 2015 dash and shift section but, of course, that is highly unlikely.

Thanks all. Look forward to some feedback.
Leave it stock! you've been gifted a classic! respect it or trade it in for something more to your taste!

I'm thinking of my 80 because i don't know what yours looks like ?

Black leather seats , have all the fake wood trim dipped , black woodgrain would be my preference , swap the stereo for a double din navigator in car entertainment unit , replace dash bulbs with led and there's your interior bling done with class .

Exterior a 3 inch suspension lift and 35 inch tyres - make the wheels your bling , seems trendy there to go for big 17 or 18 inch rims and lower profile tyres , but bare in mind what your driving is renowned the world over as the best mass produced 4x4 ever built , so if you want it to look good in everyone's eyes you will respect it for what it is - a tough reliable workhorse that can go places few others can follow .

This ones well done .

upload_2018-12-7_6-13-22.png

Last edited:
Welcome ho the forum Chuck. I’d say drive it for a bit and get a feel for it. You might do all the mods and regret it after. Having said that, look up clives ‘angel eye’ thread on here as the light upgrade does look smart and is a very practical addition. There’s also one from me entitled what an upgraded 80 can look like (or something like that). Dash swap, is a hell of a job so I would put that on the back burner for now. There’s not many parts common to other trucks but there’s a recent thread on here about using Toyodiy to cross reference. Have a search.

As said, these are iconic vehicles. Drive it before you mod it or sell it to someone who wants it and buy a truck that’s more to your taste. Unless you throw many thousands of dollars at what you want to do, you could well end up with a mess or a pile of bits in the corner (I’m thinking the dash swap bit here) when the full magnitude of the project hits home.
Good luck with it whatever you do but think well before you do it is my advice.

If you want to add instruments/gauges, you can find A pillar gauge pods on eBay. I wouldn’t even consider a dash change, nothing other than an 80 dash would fit anyway, albeit there were 2 types (at least) fitted depending on the year and market.

Back