Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Installing a External 16amp Input on my LC4 120 plus electrical works.

garygiles1963

Hi

I'm looking for somewhere - someone, to do some electrical work on my LC4 120, which includes installing a external 16amp input, spot lamps, 12v leisure battery feed.

I'm based South East London.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Gary, if you mean a 16A mains input, look at fitting an IP56 appliance inlet if you are looking at fitting it unobtrusively underneath for example. These have a locking ring and can have a cap fitted to stop dust and water getting in.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I am guessing the intention is to wire in a battery charger to the mains line, and just have all the electrics run as is on 12v ?

Hi

I brought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191841949446, was it the wrong thing to buy?

I have a Goal Zero Yeti 400, https://www.solarpowersupply.co.uk/goal-zero-yeti-400-solar-generator, which I want to use as my off grid supply. I'll be adding another 2 x 33ah batteries. Issue I had on my last trip was the supply input was only about 10w, but the fridge was drawing about 20/25w, so the input was less then the output, which of course means the Yeti will not get to a full charge. I was hoping I would be able to get a higher input ig the Goal Zero has a direct feed from the Alternator. Would this be the case or am I talking complete rubbish.

Regards

G.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Trying to figure out what this yeti thing is. .. is it just a battery with an inverter and a couple of output socket?

So when you say input. .. where was that coming from?

I've heard of but not seen these before but it appears to be just a battery pack/inverter with various charging input options, including solar and a mix of AC and DC outputs of differing voltages. As far as charging from the alternator is concerned I would treat it as just another leisure battery with a split charge relay.
The mains socket you've bought may be OK depending on where you fit it. Most places on the outside of the vehicle are going to be exposed to heavy spray, in very wet weather on the motorway for instance, so I'd also recommend what Starcruiser has suggested with a higher IP rating. Under the bonnet etc you'll probably be OK with what you've got.

Hi

I brought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191841949446, was it the wrong thing to buy?

I'll be adding another 2 x 33ah batteries.
Not wrong at all if you are happy to cut a hole in your truck for it somewhere. Also, if you submerge it, it will leak water into the area behind it and need drying out. Plus they may not take punishment from sticks etc. I plan to put mine up underneath between the spare wheel and the rearmost cross member on the angles that are on the 80. Don't know if you have a similar place. Not entirely destruction proof but I think I would need to be unlucky.

As far as batteries go, and I don't know anything about the Yeti, generally I would say with a standard setup you are better off with one big battery rather than several small ones in parallel. Reason being that one battery can discharge the other especially if it gets an internal fault.

I was thinking that, maybe a 110ah deep cycle /dual.

The corners just inside the back bumper are good or something fairly high up in the engine bay, good places in the 120.

We used a weather proof box with camping RCD/mains lead and a charger in it rather than mount a mains socket and wiring on the vehicle. Not quite as convenient to set up but still very easy and then the box could be just at the back of the car, or in/near a ground tent so a bit more flexible.

I fitted an external 16 amp socket on my hilux canopy, the snorkel will be hit before this is by branches etc
It wired up to a ctek mains charger, that connects to my leisure battery

IMG_2051.JPG

Hi

Reason for the Yeti 400, I thought it would give me options. Something I can just pick up and give me power external of the car.

I'm now having 2nd thoughts about putting an external power input, on my last trip I just run a cable out the back and shut the door on it. The door seal is thick enough for this, so I might leave as is.

I need to see what the maximum output I can get from the internal 12v outlets.

I just need to know what wattage I would get using a split charger?

Regards

G.

Back