Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Installing a Walbro pusher pump - update

Thanks once again guys for the info.
I didn't realise there was no lift pump in the tank. If it wasn't for all the drawers and other fitted kit in the rear I would have had the pickup out and checked by now.... will certainly be doing it once home.

Once back in Spain I am going to let the tank drop below half again to see what happens. Maybe it was some gunge in the tank blocking the pickup sock.

Not sure is this is significant but, a few days before I ran the tank very low and put just over 80 litres in it. I guess that meant there was 10 still in there but with the sloshing and bumping about with itthatlow could have stirred up some crap in the tank maybe?

Will update tomorrow evening.

Quick update.
Let the tank run to just under a quarter ful and all was well.
So, going buy what you guys have said here it does sound like the tank filter was blocked for a few days in Maroc.
Will investigate further once back in Blighty.

I have been thinking about doing this for a while now but then thought would the money not be better spent just reconditioning the IP. Has anyone felt the need to need to fit one of these even after having their IP pump reconditioned? That steep uphill stuff is becoming a struggle!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have been thinking about doing this for a while now but then thought would the money not be better spent just reconditioning the IP. Has anyone felt the need to need to fit one of these even after having their IP pump reconditioned? That steep uphill stuff is becoming a struggle!
As I mentioned before, I replaced the Thermo wax element by a blanking plate and that fixed it.
why don't you just get/make a blanking plate and an o-ring, dismount the thermo wax element and fit the blanking plate? for testing you don't have to disconnect a lot from the element; just hang it out of the way with a tiewrap.
If this fixes your problem, it would be a lot cheaper than reconditioning the ip.

After my installation of a Walbro it appears I have an air lock in the fuel filter.
350D880E-1343-4CE1-A424-6AAC529F71F2.jpeg

The truck runs fine with pump on or off. I have lay under it while the throttle lock was holding 2,000rpm and as fuel is being drawn off it is being replaced with new fuel from the inlet on the right.... but the air lock remains there.
For clarity, the filter is between the tank and pump the same as Chris’s installation.
Is it something I should just ignore or does it need removing somehow?
B02C2D54-7C1E-4570-8118-E04915ADFD3E.jpeg

Okay, so I have found a solution.
I extended the section of tubing that runs from the tank to the filter. This has enabled me to up end the filter so that the air bubble gets pulled through by the pump, then returned back to its original position out of the way.
Result being filter is now completely filled and no air bubble.

Last edited:
It is not an airlock per se. The air could stay there forever and not caused an issue.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave. I did think that, and it ran fine with it there... but it was annoying my OCD so it had to go :grinning::grinning:

For some time now I have been having what I felt were fuel starvation issues at higher speeds or very hard acceleration under load. The symptom was like a small hiccup. Sometimes a couple. At one point, the truck just didn't want to go past 55mph but strangely once we switched from Russian to Finnish fuel I didn't get that again. I had the effect regardless of which tank I was drawing from.
I did clean both pick ups as well as changing the main fuel filter and also adding another pre-filter from a 105. No better.
Now I did understand that there was a small gauze filter in the pusher pump but was unable to find that. I pulled the large bolt in the bottom of the pump but couldn't see anything up there either.

Today, I decided to take the pump off and have a look. But before doing so I figured I'd drain it into a bowl. I undid the bolt from the bottom of the filter but this time instead of lots of fuel running out, the bottom of the filter fell off!!

Imagine my surprise. It turns out that the pump has an actual filter bowl and full filter unit inside. And it was caked in crap. No pics as I was covered in diesel, but it's a plastic basket with a mesh infill.

Cleaned and back on. Pump now ticking much faster as it pumps fuel around and back to the tank through the spill pipes. Next job is get it out on the road.

I know not many people have these fitted, but they're very useful if you run a tank dry and switch on the move.

So there we go!

Yep them little bucket filters catch anything that has been pulled through the main filter, or crud fallen into a line during time whilst disconnected.

I have also seen some rubbish filters and not just fuel, paying a little extra tends to get you a better product.

Regards

Dave

It was quite sludgy to be honest rather than what I'd describe as solids. It's quite a fine mesh and it looked as though the pressure of the pump and the IP had been trying to collapse the whole thing. Once cleaned it seemed to spring back a fair bit. As I said, I was expecting a very small, pushed in type little thimble in the fuel intake port; but it was nothing of the kind.

Screenshot 2019-06-06 at 20.34.58.jpg

I’ve noticed my ticking has got a lot slower. Best I have a look at the filter then!

Lorin, be careful with the O ring. Really easy to nip it. I'd suggest - put the filter up into the pump because it locates positively, put the O ring on the pump too then line the bowl up with the bolt so that it's centralised then slowly tighten which keeping it all central. A little light oil or diesel on the O ring would be an advantage

Back