Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

INTERCOOLER ADVICE

roy

Country Flag
scotland
hi there, i am looking to fit an intercooler on my lkz-te colorado

i have read whats on this forum but have a few questions.

i know that there are factory top mounted intercoolers that will fit, is there any downside to fitting one behind the grill instead of on top of the engine ?
maybe a bit more lag ?
but better airflow ?

this is the size i was looking to fit 550mm x 140mm x 65mm, Overall length: 690mm
is this large enough to make an improvement ?
i will be making a custom grill to accomodate the intercooler

also will there be much improvement to the power/consumption from fitting a intercooler to this engine ?
i already have a larger straight through exhaust so this should help it a bit, but do you really need to change the fueling (remap or tunit type box) to go with the intercooler to see real improvements ?

any advice is welcome

chers roy

The top mounted inter coolers are good, because turbo lag would be a minimal. However they are quite small and to get the best out of them you may need a hood scoop, which requires making a hole in your bonnet. :thumbdown:

Fitting one in the front, just behind the Bumper was something I was looking into as well. Once all the hoses and joints are smooth flowing (no sharp bends) then you shouldn't get any noticeable turbo lag, especially how you already have a straight through exhaust. Being that it is front facing, this will work very efficiently.

Once installed properly you should be seeing a good 25-30hp increase and up to 50 nm torque. Low down torque should be very good. Fuel consumption should stay the same, but may increase depending on how easy you are with the throttle.

If you don't really care about fuel consumption, then to see better gains, you can up the furling on the Pump, by simply turning the needle on top the spill control valve inward, about a whole turn. You will definitely notice the gain. I've done this for the past year and have had no problems and my cruiser is no slouch.

Good luck, I would be very interested in doing this myself, I just need to get hold of a good size inter cooler that will fit.

I thought all 1KZ's in the 90 series came with front mounted intercoolers...?

Beau could you give more details pics would be good a how too

If you don't really care about fuel consumption, then to see better gains, you can up the furling on the Pump, by simply turning the needle on top the spill control valve inward, about a whole turn. You will definitely notice the gain. I've done this for the past year and have had no problems and my cruiser is no slouch.
:thumbup:

munster said:
Beau could you give more details pics would be good a how too

:thumbup:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKWIH1B74PBICK_hze5Vo_q7yB-deP3WNGI_fgw0jkiKYleLDz61udzXklIQ.jpg

To the right, shiny cylinder shape, is what is called as the fuel spill control valve. It pulses and basically controls the amount of fuel going in. This can only be tweaked so much, before over fuelling occurs which can lead to black smoke and run away engine.

Firstly you'll need to remove the metal cab that is above the spill control valve. Once done, use a 10mm spanner to undo the locking nut. Then turn in (clockwise) the smaller needle about 3/4 turn- a full turn. I used a small socket on this. Then Lock back the 10mm nut and start her up. It takes about a turn and a half before she smokes a little. Note- Remember where the needle was originally just in case you want to return it back. Good luck!

Beau said:
Fitting one in the front, just behind the Bumper was something I was looking into as well. I would be very interested in doing this myself, I just need to get hold of a good size inter cooler that will fit.

Landrover Defenders have the intercooler at the front LHS alongside the radiator. Maybe one of them would fit ??

(I'll ask my "Landrover Nut" neighbour the next time I see him :thumbup: ).

Mark N . . No intercoolers on '90s' in the UK - maybe they're different in Africa :think: .

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mark N said:
I thought all 1KZ's in the 90 series came with front mounted intercoolers...?

None in the UK came with intercoolers, but quite a few foreign models have top mounted intercoolers.

I have 2 mates in SA with 90's (Prado) and both have factory fitted intercoolers..

Matt Wright said:
I have 2 mates in SA with 90's (Prado) and both have factory fitted intercoolers..

Its heaters we need here :doh:

:lol:

Bob.

My 95 Prado has an intercooler - am guessing its just a difference in spec to the Colorado (which got a locking rear diff versus prado's lsd.)

The cool air comes from under the bonnet lip, where it runs between the top and bottom bonnet pressings, thn down onto the cooler, so a bonnet scoop isnt essential, it will work without.

Pete

all the LC come here from Japan so must be that Jap market have them.

Beau said:
The top mounted inter coolers are good, because turbo lag would be a minimal. However they are quite small and to get the best out of them you may need a hood scoop, which requires making a hole in your bonnet. :thumbdown:

Fitting one in the front, just behind the Bumper was something I was looking into as well. Once all the hoses and joints are smooth flowing (no sharp bends) then you shouldn't get any noticeable turbo lag, especially how you already have a straight through exhaust. Being that it is front facing, this will work very efficiently.

Once installed properly you should be seeing a good 25-30hp increase and up to 50 nm torque. Low down torque should be very good. Fuel consumption should stay the same, but may increase depending on how easy you are with the throttle.

Good luck, I would be very interested in doing this myself, I just need to get hold of a good size inter cooler that will fit.

" The intercooler equipped version of the engine increases the output of the engine 145 hp (108 kW) [Aust. 130 hp (96 kW)] @ 3600 rpm and maximum torque of 343 N·m (253 lb·ft) @ 2000 rpm "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KZ_engine

Cheers

The ECU box have different part number (89661-60510) in intercooler version too. I have the one for sale if somebody is intrested. There is no immobilizer in this ECU model.
The intercooler won´t give +20hp/50Nm without extra fuel.

Back