Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

INTERCOOLER BUILD ENQUIRY

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys been thinking for long about a intercooler & differences between top & top mount options.

These have been discussed in depth pros & cons.

Top mount looks simpiler & less costly for a home made setup.

I quite like Tom fahrzeugtechnik's company setup in Germany shown in the pictures.

Been thinking to buy a used intercooler similar in size & modify like his one.

Not sure about a scoop but a fan could be a option turning the turbo for 14 psi & fuel pump accordingly.

Woundering what you guys think or any experience for the 1-HDT motor.

Thanks in advance

IMG_4613.JPG IMG_4614.JPG IMG_4615.JPG

There is no reason why you shouldnt be running 15 psi now with a little more fuel. I am.

when i have the time and money i will also be fitting a tmi. You will need a scoop. Have you a link to that website with the intercooler on?

You will need a scoop to benefit properly from the top mount. A fan alone won't do much.

In my opinion you should be looking at charge air coolers, think intercooler in a water jacket with its own dedicated radiator, as in my opinion mounting the intercooler not in a position exposed to cool air flow is self defeating.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Agree with the above, and numerous studies actually show this is the most optimum way of getting the lowest inlet temps, however it is a lot more work. And I know people worry about the potential of water leaking into the cooler and into the inlet. For the cost/benefit I think the IC like above with a scoop with appropriate ducting should see great results.

Agree with the above, and numerous studies actually show this is the most optimum way of getting the lowest inlet temps, however it is a lot more work. And I know people worry about the potential of water leaking into the cooler and into the inlet. For the cost/benefit I think the IC like above with a scoop with appropriate ducting should see great results.

Your right cost factor & amount of work takes the appeal with this setup but most likely the best for sure. Thanks

I cant seem to find a price for the one in the link?

I cant seem to find a price for the one in the link?

I seem to remember from my research prior all inclusive of fitting, parts & tuning came to a couple of thousand euros or more. Price wise expensive for sure.

Maybe worth emailing them?
Liked the design and the testing done was impressive with stats too.

I have Safari intercooler on one of my 80 s.
http://www.safarisnorkel.com/intercooler/sc1hdft/sc1hdft.htm
Not really much noticeаble improvement. What really does the change is boosting the turbo a bit.
You can do it on a budget by taking the cooler,the fan, the scoop and the cooler stand from Nissan Patrol Y61 TD6. I actually have an extra set I did not use and is for sale:) Dont have the scoop....

This is what it looks like in a Nissan. It has the fan attached under the cooler

nissan-patrol-gr-28-tdi.jpg

Hi George I'm looking at all options right now from the easiest to the more complicated install right now. Your intercooler looks pretty think so would need to have dimensions as I'm in the planning stage.

Perhaps you can p.m me more pictures & measurements including price. Thanks

I think it has made a lot of difference after it adjusted the pump and boost pressure the turbo really kicks in now. I think what I did is still by far the cheapest option with the same results

I think it has made a lot of difference after it adjusted the pump and boost pressure the turbo really kicks in now. I think what I did is still by far the cheapest option with the same results

Yeah I think your right there. Mearsured up the scoop today And internals space to get a rough idea of the set up.

Your thread said you had a fan that you changed from large to a smaller one. Is that nessesary or just an extra fir sitting in traffic?

Thanks

Hi George I'm looking at all options right now from the easiest to the more complicated install right now. Your intercooler looks pretty think so would need to have dimensions as I'm in the planning stage.

Perhaps you can p.m me more pictures & measurements including price. Thanks
Yep, I've been there a couple of years ago :) I'll take more pictures with dimensions. P.M me with your e-mail address as I can't attach pics in PMs. Don't know why but its a fact. I paid something like 200 euros for the bunch of stuff. You can have them delivered for roughly 220E. I'll call a person who has installed one ot his 80 and see if I can get you some pics as well.

I took my truck to a place called Super Diesel today after I read this thread. They had the truck for not more than 30 minutes....It did make a difference. I'm happy as a child now. What a kick I have now!:angry-screaming::character-beavisbu::happy-cheerleaderk::happy-cheerleaders:

Yep, I've been there a couple of years ago :) I'll take more pictures with dimensions. P.M me with your e-mail address as I can't attach pics in PMs. Don't know why but its a fact. I paid something like 200 euros for the bunch of stuff. You can have them delivered for roughly 220E. I'll call a person who has installed one ot his 80 and see if I can get you some pics as well.

P.m sent

I haven't got a fan fitted at the minute and I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference I have felt the intercooler after a motorway drive, just driving around town and while I was greenlaneing the inlet side was slightly warm but the outlet side was cold to the touch. I think you could fit a bigger fan an the 12 valve because the rocker cover is thinner

Back