Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

intercooler

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
i want to fit an intercooler on my LJ70, and was wondering what other people had done?

i was thinking of either using a daihatsu fourtrak one, which would go infront of my radiator. or a pajero/shogun one, which would require me fitting a bonnet scoop.

im thinking of using one of these intercoolers as theres plenty in the scrapyards i use and they would be cheap. :)

thanks mate, thats an idea, i will look into that. have you got any pics please? :thumbup:

id almost given up on this thread/forum. after this thread had had 56 views and not a single reply! :roll:

Don't take it to heart Ben. Sadly there are only a few 70 owners.
Come and join us in The Club House, I'm sure you'll get a better reception there :thumbup:

thanks i might well be interested in that!

i wanted to go to the scrapyard yesterday and have a look at a few differnt ones, but it was raining all dya so i didnt bother. :thumbdown:

do the supra ones bolt in front of the rad or on top of the engine?

i think id rather not have to cut a hole in my bonnet if possible, hence why the fourtrak one looks good. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
all sorted now!

i went to the scrap yard and looked at lots of differnt vehicles with intercoolers.

in the end i bought a huge intercooler off a vauxhall frontera 2.8 diesel! :thumbup:

excellent! I fitted a Pajero one in front of the rad as I had it lying about in the shed - but still got the hoses to fit :oops:

thanks! ive got my intercooler fitted, just waiting for all the new silicon hoses and bends to arrive, and then i can plumb it all in. :thumbup:

*copied from my build thread on another forum*

weather wasnt too bad today so i decided to go to a few scrap yards in search of an intercooler!

a friend had told me daihatsu fourtrak's have intercoolers mounted infront of the radiators, however...................................

i looked under the bonnet of 9 fourtraks altogether today and none had, or ever had had intercoolers.

i was looking at intercoolers on TD vitaras and shoguns, but decided i wanted a big intercooler and not a top mounted one, like the vit and mitsi ones.

in the end i found one on a 2.8 diesel frontera, and £20 later it was mine!

i came home and realised it was slightly bigger than i idealy wanted, but...............................i knew i could make it fit!

i had to trim a few brackets off the back of the grill, move my winch solenoids slightly, and enlarge the 2 holes each side of the rad, but i managed to get the intercooler to fit snugly.

i made 2 brackets out of some 2" steel angle, and there held in place by the large 12mm bolts that hold the body to the chassis.

ive just given all the cut/bear metal, and the 2 new brackets a coat of paint, and tomorrow i will put it all back together with the new intercooler in place.

just need to order a couple of 90 degree silicon hose bends and its ready to plumb in!

IMAG0001_renamed_26640.jpg

IMAG0005_renamed_8456.jpg

IMAG0006_renamed_31747.jpg

IMAG0007_renamed_7997.jpg

IMAG0009_renamed_16707.jpg

IMAG0013_renamed_14348.jpg

*more from my build thread.*

first i finished mounting the solenoids, and then i cut strips of vitara rubber door edging strip and used this to cover the sharp edges where ive cut through the body for the 2 intercooler pipes.

i then bolted the intercooler in place, and put the grill and indicators back on.

so the intercooler is all in and mounted now, ready to be plumbed in. im just waiting on all the expensive silicon hose connections to arrive!

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

thats as far as ive got. the silicon hoses have now arrived so if i get time i will plumb it in this weekend. :thumbup:

Back