Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

INTERESTING..Didnt think it was possible

Interesting. I had heard it could be done, but that was by an LPG fitter. There’s a whole heap of difference between being possible and being economical.

Interesting. I had heard it could be done, but that was by an LPG fitter. There’s a whole heap of difference between being possible and being economical.
Lord knows how much the conversion would cost... you would have to do some miles on gas before you started getting your money back... cant see any benefit personally

Lord knows how much the conversion would cost... you would have to do some miles on gas before you started getting your money back... cant see any benefit personally
Exactly, and you ruin a perfectly good engine in the process. Far better to do an engine swap for a Lexus V8 if the Diesel Police get too carried away.

Exactly, and you ruin a perfectly good engine in the process. Far better to do an engine swap for a Lexus V8 if the Diesel Police get too carried away.
Or when Putin spits his dummy out and cuts off our gas supply..:icon-rolleyes:

Last edited:
I got talking about this with an lpg fitter some years ago when having my landrover 101 converted. They had done a few to buses, basically so the council could boast about how green they were while wasting our money.
His view was it’s pretty much pointless on a car because your basically just turning it into a petrol engine configuration, better just to buy a petrol vehicle and have it dual fuel.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The way to do it is "Fumigation", where you add a small percentage of LPG/propane into the airstream of a diesel engine. (And I think that is what is done on this cruiser). Look around in Australia, and you will find many cruisers and trucks converted. It's really very effective. The diesel and gas complement each other to give a better combustion. It gives more power, more torque, less soot, cleaner engine and less wear; all with a lower consumption. As the two components ignite at slightly different times in the cycle, you get a smoother engine with less knock, and a better torque curve. All in all it's a win-win-win. I would have installed it long ago, if it wasn't for the law (regulations): Any gas installation has to be approved by a certified installer, and that near-monopoly situation makes the cost extremely high, at least around here.
In other words: It's not a conversion, just helping the diesel burn better. The kits vary in complexity, from the simplest constant flow on/off, to the more advanced computer controlled type with sensor for flow, rpm and temperature.
Links:
http://www.dieselgasaustralia.com.au/default.aspx?ID=Technical
https://www.ecoshot.com.au
http://www.peelinstruments.com.au/page20.html
https://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/4wd-mods-powertrain/lpg-diesel-more-power-improved-economy

Last edited:
I was just looking at another thread ( End of diesels overlanding etc). And got me wondering if the Diesel /Gas conversion could be LEZ exempt.. or does it just pick up the REG on the camera and see its a diesel, could you just switch to GAS when entering LEZ zone.. I bet its a mine field of Red tape .. just a thought

I believe the vehicle has to be gas powered from factory and registered as such.

For diesels, there is no gas conversion or dual fuel. The tech involved is fumigation, i.e. adding a smaalll percentage of gas into the diesel engine. It will still run on diesel, all the time.

For diesels, there is no gas conversion or dual fuel. The tech involved is fumigation, i.e. adding a smaalll percentage of gas into the diesel engine. It will still run on diesel, all the time.
There have been full gas conversions to busses etc in town, but as I said, the engine basically has to be turned into a petrol engine with spark plugs etc, as per the link above.
It’s not dual fuel, it has to be fully gas.

If you really want to drive on LPG there's only one good system. The LPI system is a liquid gas injection system, with gas injectors directly in front of your engine air intake. so if you have a v6, you have six injectors. It works in the same way as your petrol injectors and use the same timing from your original ecu. My car is from 1997 and i had it converted to LPI in 2001 with about 40.000 km at that time. Now in 2018 it has driven over 360.000 km. This system costed me in 2001 about 1800 euro's, two years ago they replaced the LPI pump in the tank what cost me about 300 euro's. Price for 1 liter euro 95 cost about 1,60 euro, price for LPG cost about 0,78 euro / liter. Every time i fill up the lpg tank it save's me about 50 euro compared to euro 95. It has (almost) no lost of power. On the pictures you can see the intake manifold and the injector's
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG

Back