Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Interesting Video on Youtube

mike smith

Country Flag
australia
There is a guy called Rex who mainly works on Mercedes cars on youtube. He has a video of a 1997 80 series 4.5 with what sounds like a diesel engine, but in fact it is a very serious engine knock. Watching this video was very interesting as the way they went about trying to figure out what the knock sound was. Now there are 3 videos in this series and it shows how they try to figure out what it is, but the the 4th video is missing where they are looking at the 3rd and 4th cylinders as this is where the sound is coming from, has anybody seen these videos and more to the point, seen how they fixed it. I am just curious as to what it was.

Is it this video you mean Mike?

If it is, the publisher’s name seems to be Kent Bergsma

There’s Parts 1, 2 & 3 visible so sounds like the set you describe...

Last edited:
Yes thats the guy, have you watched them. I wonder what the problem is.

Yes I watched them, but I’m surprised that they didn’t go for the “stethoscope” method sooner. Pity part 4 is missing though, perhaps they’ve still got it in bits :lol:

Seen many of Rex's videos mostly on Mercedes classics over the years. A nice gentleman and interesting this one being a Landcruiser or Lexus lx450 known in the states.

Interesting noise always a difficult thing to isolate based on trial and error of elimination. Be interested in part 4 or 5,6,7,8,9...lol until the issue is found.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I saw part 4 but he still has no idea what the problem is, now he has to drop the motor.

he has part 5 and 6 on youtube, but he still hasnt found out what the problem is.

he has part 5 and 6 on youtube, but he still hasnt found out what the problem is.

I think he’s found the problem, a spun BEB on no 4 (was it?) but the cause is now his quest.

Ah yes the Quest, i think he will find the car is basically, as we say here, rooted.

Looks like a candidate for a LS swap :lol:

Looks like a candidate for a LS swap :lol:

It’s a nice looking truck, well worthy of a transplant or even a repair, but the crank looks like it needs a re-grind which becomes expensive.

Just watched all of these and have to say hats off to Kent (aka ‘Rex’) for a really thorough educational lesson in troubleshooting. It would have been good to find out exactly why this happened but I suspect his theory of blocked oil ways is potentially sound. The one thing that bothers me withvthat though, is how does anything get pats the oil filter in the form of those silicone bits?

I guess we will never know.

I’ve watched a few of his videos before. He really knows his stuff and runs such a clean workshop. There’s a lot to be learned from him.

Just watched all of these and have to say hats off to Kent (aka ‘Rex’) for a really thorough educational lesson in troubleshooting. It would have been good to find out exactly why this happened but I suspect his theory of blocked oil ways is potentially sound. The one thing that bothers me withvthat though, is how does anything get pats the oil filter in the form of those silicone bits?

I guess we will never know.

I’ve watched a few of his videos before. He really knows his stuff and runs such a clean workshop. There’s a lot to be learned from him.

Yes, in theory what doesn’t get trapped by the gauze on the pick-up should be caught in the filter...

It’s a nice looking truck, well worthy of a transplant or even a repair, but the crank looks like it needs a re-grind which becomes expensive.

When I blow mine up it's going v8 I reckon lol.

Back