Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

intermittant abs/vsc lights

Seagull-russ

Country Flag
uk
hey all

noticed today that my abs/vsc lights are coming on intermittently, sometimes not on for long and then this evening flashed couple times and stayed on until arrived at wifes work, idled for about 10mins and then when drove off they went off and came on again couple times until home. thinking cable or loose? dirt?
are they easy to just clip off and clean ?

cheers
russell

any ideas? assume still perfectly fine drive up to Doncaster this weekend?

It could be a sensor breaking down or check the wiring. i had my lights come on in scotland but i had been through lots of partially flooded roads /heavily salted too. and had to pull up pretty sharpish for a range rover coming the other way which was when my lights came up. i carried on driving all the way back to the holiday home with no problems. then once i turned it off and restarted all was fine. had no problems since.

So you might be lucky with a quick clean up.

where abouts are they located in the wheel area? easy to pull out and wipe up?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If it is a sensor breaking down. Im not sure if there is a way of testing them. Hopefully someone on here with more knowledge than me will know.

ok, had a look and all seems no damage, checked fuses all fine, went for a drive and got to 40mph and slammed brakes on, little squeal but didn't feel any locking so possibly working still? next step I guess is to unplug and somehow give a wipe inside connector? also the lights appear to be coming on all time now.. so something has got worse I guess.

Did you take the plugs off each sensor to see if any had bad/corroded connections?

Im hoping someone with more knowledge can shed some light if they can be tested at all?

Last edited:
As the lights are staying on all the time now, it might be worth getting the codes read to give you more of a clue what part has gone wrong. google Yaw rate sensor and this is also linked to the ABS.

Gave mine a real good pressure wash underneath a couple of months ago to get dust and monsoon dirt out of everywhere - the dash stayed lit up like a Christmas tree after I started her up; lots of the lights were still on after 24 hrs, and specifically the abs/vsc lights over 48!

Road tested everything gently at first and everything worked fine, then let nature run it's course assuming the absolute drenching caused the issue. Have to say I was very happy when the lights finally went out!

Good luck!

little update, managed take the front passenger side sensor out and cleaned up, drivers side one wouldn't budge but twisted around? then this morning lights went out and didn't come on... however after work heard a clunk 2twice and lights flashed and went off, then heard another single clunk and lights came on... any ideas what this clunking noise could be as seems to be causing the lights come on.. it sounds like coming from drivers side and was audible above the radio..

Not sure. could it be something on the brake system disarming due to bad connection/faulty sensor?
Good that the lights went out (even if it was temporary) id be soaking the the bolts that hold onto the sensors. to help when you do need to get them out, even if it is only to clean them.

ye the bolt came undone easy enough, just the sensor didn't wanna slide out... makes me wonder if broken, not sure why would be stuck in.

yup for sure... would blasting it with some wd40 do any damage ? or trying prise it lol.

I wouldnt of thought so. they have an O ring seal so keep moving back and forth while soaking and it should come out. hopefully in one piece

Last edited:
Back