Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Intermittent ABS light...

Wildplaces

Country Flag
europe
Hi Peeps

The ABS light in my FJ120 comes on occasionally. Usually for the whole (short) journey, or else it goes off 5 mins after starting, or else comes on 5 mins after starting.
Haven't found a pattern but when it is on, the ABS definitely isn't working.
No light = ABS is fine.

It doesn't bother me unduly as
1. I don't drive very fast (its a local working truck)
2. I still remember how to pump the brakes if they lock up!

However - any ideas for a quick fix?

Cheers
Charles

You need to find out what codes are being stored..... that will point you in the direction of what the vehicle thinks is wrong .... it could be many things so there is no quick answer or fix

I have read on here an anecdote about how a bad earth in the rear light cluster or trailer wiring can give ABS faults.I can't remember who posted , maybe it was Shayne ? The Max Ellery manual shows in detail how to read the codes manually & has tables with the faults .Techstream software is also an alternative but you could check the wiring to the wheel sensors before this.

You need to find out what codes are being stored..... that will point you in the direction of what the vehicle thinks is wrong .... it could be many things so there is no quick answer or fix

Aha - I'm new to this game.
How do I read the codes? I don't think I have a gizmo for that...

If I need a tool, what and how much? I'm guessing it would prove useful on other occasions?...

Back