Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Intermittent glowplug light.

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
Hello all, I just wondered if anyone on the forum had experience of the glowplug light intermittently and randomly coming on during normal running conditions on my 24V 80 GS. It comes on as normal to start and on and off as it pleases. It doesn't affect running and I have now disconnected it at the manifold. I assume its something to do with a relay somewhere but could do with a few pointers.

thanks Andy.

Relay is under drivers side battery, worth a look, loads on here about it.

If it is a faulty relay it could case a fire so I would disconnect it ASAP

Thanks for that Paul and Rob, will get on with it now and post back.

Andy

It is now removed. Any ideas if it is the same as a 12v relay or unique to 24v?

Andy

I don't think so as the 24v has a pre heater and the 12v has glow plugs. Its 28610-17080 or 182800-3061 (desno part no.) BTW. Looking at the brand new on on my desk there is no indication of the current rating anywhere.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
AndycruiserguyLomas said:
It is now removed. Any ideas if it is the same as a 12v relay or unique to 24v?

Andy
Sorry Can't recall who changed it in one of the threads on one of the forums. the Toyota relay is big money. One of the guys replaced his with a motorbike relay as i recall that worked fine and was a fraction of the price.

Well lets hope he or someone remembers and gives me some indication of an alternative solution.

Here's hoping
Andy

If the relay is faulty, you could possibly get Toyota to pay for it, there was a recall to replace the relay & associated wiring, if it wasn't done, & Toy will have a record, if you speak to them nicely, they will probably pay for the parts (you pay the labour).

Hi before I go any further with this, can anyone tell me is this relay just a relay or does it have a timer to it?

Thanks

Andy

Ye before you go any further, check that all your pipes are conected to your EGR I forgot to reconnect one and my glow light came on

119_0011-1.jpg

Hi could anyone enlighten me on the location of the pre heater timer, and also the temp sensor on the engine which is connected to the pre heat system on my 24V 80 GS. I have changed the relay under the battery tray ( which was found to be buggered right under investigative diesection), This has had no effect on the random lighting of the pre heat warning light.
Any Ideas chaps?

Thanks
Andy

Can someone point me in the direction of a manual / write up on how to remove this relay?

Hopefully with some pictures.

The relay under the RH battery tray is just a slave relay supplying power to the heating element direct from the battery. Mine was toast and also causing a current drain when parked up so I changed it for a motorcycle starter relay years ago and it's worked fine since. I also relocated to to the left of the battery on the inner wing. This relay (and the timer light) is triggered from the emission ECU/Timer relay behind the dash on the passenger side which takes input from the water temp sensor on the LHS of the engine near the oil filter.
Can someone point me in the direction of a manual / write up on how to remove this relay?

Hopefully with some pictures.

Just remove the driver's side battery and the plastic battery tray and you'll see the relay. Not much to it really.

Relay.JPG

Last edited:
Had lots of spurious lights coming and going prior to alternator failing. Cant remember if the glow plug was one of them. Worth checking out alternator even to just discount it if nothing else

Everything seems to be OK on mine. Having just read another post, I am considering If I should remove the relay. Do I just unbolt it? What happens with the open ends?

The relay feed cable connects directly to the battery + terminal so best to disconnect it there first before you start playing around with the relay. It's a very short cable and easy to trace.

Well how queer
Ive had this over the past couple of days
I don't have the relay under the battery; it's long gone
Anyway I've just chosen to ignore it

Back