Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Internet Explorer 8 Cannot Display Website :-(

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Having some trouble with IE8 after it has updated recently, and now "cannot display website" message comes up even though i am definatly connected properly (diagnosis has checked connection and things like msn work and antivirus/windows can update.) I am on Vista, and realise all the things about using a different browser or buying a MAC but i want to sort this out. This message comes up for all websites, even ones i haven't viewed before.
I have trawled through all the usual microsoft help and advice sites and there is a huge amount of info but it all seems to end at the issue i have and many others are screaming the same issue but no solution.
The suggestions are:
Use in built diagnostic tool, done but no problems found.
Do a system restore to before the udates were installed, i did this and then everything was good but had to have cable plugged in, it then did another auto update and now re-doing this does not work.
I have reset router (including the original install from when it was new.)
On Internet Options i have deleted history and temp files etc as reccommended by MS troubleshooting list.
I looked for IE8 in programs to uninstall it as i'm told that IE7 will then come on, but IE8 does not appear in the program list.
Put all the security settings to minimum, no good.
Turned off anti virus and Windows defender.
Run IE without add ons.

At a loss now, any help would be good.

Paul
It won't help your Explorer issues that much but why not download Firefox. It is superior to Explorer and is Free. You can have both on your PC and use either. If you have a lot of favourites/book marks in Explorer you can export them to Firefox. I use both happily. Dowload it here

also, it could be just that website. Can you reach other websites with IE8 or are no pages loading?

When you say "Cannot Display Website" are you sure that your computer is still connected to the network? A colleague of mine lost his network connection completely after a recent update and had to do a rollback.

Cheers

IE8 has a "comparability mode" which basically means it can read pages that aren't compatible with IE8, yes really. Try truing it on or off to see if it changes. Also you could uninstall the update in programs and features (as its called in w7) but only do so after you turn off auto update. Also try googing the update number that you think is causing the issue, chances are someone else has the same issue.

I personally gave up on IE several years ago, there really is no need to deal with IE issues especially on vista and newer OS. try chrome then firefox in that order and I promise you will never go back to IE. Firefox is more like IE so some people prefer that but it has become rather bloated over the years but is still better than IE8. Also if your on vista try uninstalling IE8 and go back to IE7.

Also if you try a different browser you will know for sure if its the connection or the browser.

As i said above, i have tried all those things.
I have tried the Compatabiltiy mode and no change.
Also, what is the best way to download firefox on another computor as i wont be able to do it on the faulty one.
How can i uninstall IE8 without it being in the program list?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Are you sure you still have a network connection?

To test, open a command prompt and type:

ping news.bbc.co.uk

And you should see something like this below.

C:\Users\rwj>ping news.bbc.co.uk

Pinging newswww.bbc.net.uk [212.58.226.140] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.226.140: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=56
Reply from 212.58.226.140: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=56
Reply from 212.58.226.140: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=56
Reply from 212.58.226.140: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 212.58.226.140:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 27ms

C:\Users\rwj>

Paul said:
Also, what is the best way to download firefox on another computor as i wont be able to do it on the faulty one.

Download it on a different pc, and then copy the install file onto a usb stick to transferr to the pc you want it installed on.

Can you connect to websites using inPrivate Browsing, should be in the tools menu.

Will try the USB stick.

In Private make no difference (i use that one quite alot at work ;) )

When you say command prompt, what do you mean?

press start and type cmd in the search box then enter

Back