Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

invincible 3.0L d4d 05 plate 120k

jus

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi there
i have just bought a landcruiser .....
can anyone shed any light on why the rear brakes are continually binding/rubbing, even after fitting new calipers and discs and i have checked that the h/brake cable is not applying the h/brake shoes.
while on the jack after replacing the calipers disks i could spin the rear wheels easily
after a sort run down the motorway i pull over and the back wheels are red hot and the front are just at normal running temp.
back on the jack now and both rears are now hard to turn again!

"""!! just to point out, once i have prized the pistons back into both calipers they will run free again so seems to be something to do with the hydraulic braking system side!!""""

Help please

Last edited:
I'd check that you have setup the rear brakes correctly. There is a excellent tread on here somewhere detailing how.

Welcome Jus, good choice, an 05 plate LC4. Can't help with the diagnosis I'm afraid without the truck in front of me but will be watching with interest as, you've guessed it, I have an 05 .....

Reactions: jus
I'd check that you have setup the rear brakes correctly. There is a excellent tread on here somewhere detailing how.

ive jst updated my kock up explanation.. lol

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah ok, I'm not a expert and I am sure someone will come along that is, but how hard was it to push the pistons back? Did they move easily? Might just need a good clean and perhaps a change of brake fluid?

ive jst updated my kock up explanation.. lol
Have you checked the s/steel clips that fit to the caliper for the pads to slide in and out are lubed with silicone grease and fitted correctly as well as the slider pins are lubed with the same as well as the rubber incerts for the slider pins are not stuck out of their grove that they hinder the pins .

Have you checked the s/steel clips that fit to the caliper for the pads to slide in and out are lubed with silicone grease and fitted correctly as well as the slider pins are lubed with the same as well as the rubber incerts for the slider pins are not stuck out of their grove that they hinder the pins .

yeah the stainless steel slides are new and I have to free the pins off every time I Jack it up as the heat they produce melts the grease and they end up solid..
But after I have taken them out and cleaned and regressed they slide easily ..

yeah the stainless steel slides are new and I have to free the pins off every time I Jack it up as the heat they produce melts the grease and they end up solid..
But after I have taken them out and cleaned and regressed they slide easily ..
It may sound crazy to ask but have you made sure the calipers are fitted the right side up with the bleed niple at the top side of the caliper so as not to trap air inside the calipers to bleed them properly .

yes they are the right way up,, lol, but good shout!!
I got them off the ebay from a company called millner ,, but to be fair after it happening i put the old one off the n/s back on as it was fine to start with.
and as i didn't want to damage both new ones.
and to be fair they both (new and old) still get hot to the equal amount at the same time.

Dose any one think it may be something to do with the very complex looking master cylinder??

You know you must bleed the brakes without the car being propped up ? if not the brake balancer might possibly be causing your problems

Maybe a long shot, But give your load sensing valve a once over.. if its got one... or whatever it has instead of....

hmmmm that's an interesting thing I'll look into that.

Maybe a long shot, But give your load sensing valve a once over.. if its got one... or whatever it has instead of....
ok I think I'll look into this brake balancer thing..
Thanks everyone

It basically senses when you have weight in the back so increases rear braking , hence it needs to be sat on all 4 wheels unpropped to return to standard bias after you have had calipers removed .

Hi all
just an update to the issue i am having ...
i've checked the load sensing valve and it has not got one!!!!!..
should it have??? thoughts please...

I didnt think they did, Not like the conventional Type you would get on a 80 or 90 series... It will be part of the Brake balance set up , Controlled electronically No doubt.... Or even some type of Magical Brake pressure distribution valve.... Someone with a bigger brain than mine will be along to explain soon, Im sure.... Good luck...(ps where are you? someone could be close by to have a look)

Back