Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Irelands Atlantic West Coast.

wobbly

Garage
Im not going to Portugal this year, so have been looking for options.

After reading a trip report in this months 4x4 Magazine i'm considering the west coast of Ireland.

Minor roads, tracks and beach camping, together with pubs and sightseeing will be the order of the day.

This will be family friendly, but not in school hols.

If anyone is interested let me know.

Pete

Does the article give a route?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not quite, but it lists the areas they visited, but their trip was based on a guide issued by the tourist board. Potentially theres 1700miles of route :)

Route will only be a guideline though, last time I went I got told about places in pubs, so want to give a bit of flexibility.

When are you going, does it clash with Romania?

As a general guide, theres a really good website for the west of Ireland, it has route planning on it as well.

Theres also proper mapping showing minor tracks available.

www.ireland.com/en-gb/wild-atlantic-way

Ferry from fishguard to rosslare, drive over to cork, plan a route from there. The coastal routes are very dramatic, but theres inland routes away from the obvious tourist bits.

I dont know when Romania is, nor do I have a date in mind, but as it will be camping I dont want to be cold !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Romania trip starts 15th August, I don't like the cold either.

done Ireland its very nice place and the landscape is very beautiful, the people are very helpful so there will no problems at all
but nearly all the lanes are tarmac so it can be done in a normal car
do a street view on Google and u will see what i mean
it will be a good trip

I've done a bit of touring round Donegal on a bike and can thoroughly recommend the place. Some of the minor roads can be 'interesting' on a road bike but will certainly be no trouble at all in any sort of 4x4.

We only have 4x4's, so by definition any road trip for me is a 4x4 trip :icon-cool:

Ive costed it up and I reckon about £600 inc ferry, fuel food and drink, allowing about 7 days inc travelling to and from route.

Pete

WCheers hence stuou thinking of Pete?

Really want to see the west coast and might be my last time to do it this year before moving on.

Cheers

If anyone is interested I can let you have the 2005 Boreen Run tracklog. This was among the best of the Boreen Runs and covers some spectacular areas.

It took place in counties Clare, Galway and Mayo.

Although originally a BMW Club motorcycle event, I've done it in the 78 and the 80. Some of the boreens are small and tight but very doable in a 4x4.

We stayed here on the Saturday night.

http://boreenrun.com/index.php/2005

That link doent work?

Stu - I'm flexible, was thinking of maybe Mon 7th September for a week, or anytime that may suit others !

Fishguard - Rosslare on the 0230 ferry, arrive and roughly 4 hour drive to start of route.

Theres lots of boxes I want to tick, places I didnt get to see when I lived there.

Pete

might go but due to Ireland being 99% tarmac 1% gravel i think i will take the 7 seater with me and use normal tyres

but it will depend on dates and i would like to see the route if possible

and this time i will be on my own

Last edited:
Is there dirt roads to unused beaches and some beach driving?

I will have a chat with my wife and see what's going on.

Stu

Sounds good, watching with interest.

Stu - thats the aim, beach camping if possible.

I dont have a route, was aiming to do a list of must-see's and then plan the next day each evening.

Starting point possibly Old Head of Kinsale, aiming for Mizen Head, then Kenmare - the town has a really vibrant pub-based nighlife, I was there for a jazz festival before and it was a great atmosphere.

From Kenmare head ove to Dingle via the Blaskets, then over the ferry into Kerry.

Cliffs of Moher I would like to see, then inland to Gort (where my family is from) then up to Galway? From there to Westport using the coast route.

Altho there are no byways, on the maps there are lanes which are shown as dashed lines, single tracks, so after the coast I was thinking of heading back across country.

None of this is set in stone though, cos last time I was in Kenmare the plans all changed after chatting to a couple of guys in a pub.....

Pete

cos last time I was in Kenmare the plans all changed after chatting to a couple of guys in a pub..... Pete

That's how i like to plan things :thumbup: I'm watching with interest for a date to evolve .

Back