Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ironman vs. OME (Old Man Emu) suspension kits?

MikesVX80

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I'm not looking to buy immediately (got a couple of other bits to sort first to get a solid "baseline") but my next major investment will be in a 2" lift kit for my 80-Series. The reasons for this requirement are two-fold; firstly, to replace the standard, tired shocks and springs to improve the ride comfort and handling, and secondly to provide a little more ground clearance and increased payload capacity for overland use.

Ignoring specific spring rates for now, what is everyone's opinion of the Ironman 4x4 kit? Paul at Westcost 4x4 really recommends it (he would of course, he does sell them ;)) but I know John Reader of Trailmasters has an Ironman kit on his 80 and that gets used fairly hard!

However, Julian @ Overland Cruisers is very critical of Ironman gear, viewing it very much as budget replacement equipment and not up to the job of overland travel.

By way of comparison, the full Ironman kit is around £700 (including the higher-spec foam cell shocks and steering damper, all ex. fitting), whereas the full OME kit is anywhere between £900-£1,000 (inc. steering damper, ex. fitting), so quite a chunk more!

I would be very interested to hear of anyone with actual experience of these kits (quality, reliability, performance), both on and offroad please.

Just to stick a fly on the ointment, the EFS kit is getting some really good press too. Devon 4x4 stock them (as well as the OME kit) so do yourself a favour and check them out too.

I know of a few people who have had Ironman kits, then changed them for ONE ones.

I have had two sets of IM for on road and off road. I should really have seen sense and stopped at the first set. Why? Are they no good? Is the ride poor?

Well I'd say as a replacement for std suspension the IM is a lovely ride. But once I started to load it up, the springs etc couldn't tackle the extra weight. In terms of off road performance the 4" kit was great. The silver one really was fantastic in the mud.

So what's the downside. Simple. Appalling finish. Well I don't think that you really even call it a finish. Think of it more as a transportation coating to protect it whist in the box. Secondly, zero interest in relation to customer support for said coating issues. That's been on two sets. The 4" kit was £1200 IIRC. So not chicken feed.

I am now running EFS which I imported directly from Aus.

I have a set of IM on the shelf. The shockers look shocking, but the springs look great because I had them blasted and coated myself. The coating didn't fall off so it can't be that hard can it.

OME? Very expensive and better, but the Aussies consider these as Halfords spec interestingly. They aren't actually made by OME themselves. They're re branded. I have had OME and they are a better finish but not by much. I think they are tougher and I know many people who have been round the world on them. So they must be doing something right. But will they stand up to a Simpson Desert crossing? I can't say myself, but I know people who would say not. I have a worn set on my other 80. Scott went to the Pyranees and Morocco on them so they have been well used. Unloaded, they are now lovely to drive on. Pedders also seem to be getting on on the act. Can't fault the EFS so far.

Just to stick a fly on the ointment, the EFS kit is getting some really good press too. Devon 4x4 stock them (as well as the OME kit) so do yourself a favour and check them out too.

Not heard of them but will take a look, thanks. What good press? Any independent reviews?

I know of a few people who have had Ironman kits, then changed them for ONE ones.

Do you know why? Have you?

By good press I'm referring to first hand reports really - friends in South Africa who travel a LOT with loaded 80s and 105s are swearing by them. Most have been down the IM, OME, Tough Dog route and are now converts. Issues like weeping seals, poor finish, poor after sales service, inability to do the job etc. Put paid to the other brands.

Bilstein are good for shocks - you can rebuild them but they're expensive. Same with Koni Raid. But for 'regular' use (ie not Dakar Race stuff) do you need that? Probably not.

I've had full OME 2" stuff on an 80 and it was way better than stock. But that was when it was kit made in Oz and not by a Chinese manufacturer using not quite equivalent components.

You pays your money you takes your chances. I have to replace shocks soon on my 80. I'll be putting EFS on ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK, thanks for the advice. Where do you get EFS kit from in the UK, and how much is it? Would like to take a look.

Interesting that a few of you say OME is no longer made in Australia.

Do you have a link to where you read that, or was it word of mouth? :think:

AFAIK OME is still made in a factory in Adelaide, where they also make Monroe shocks. In fact OME shocks use the same body for the shocks as Monroe but with their own specific valve coding which is different spec to Monroes.

Ive run Ironman, OME and EFS on my 70 and personally I feel OME and EFS are about the same. Ironman is cheap and nasty and I will never fit that to any of my vehicles again. :icon-biggrin:

I must admit, I'm pretty shocked to hear OME getting such a bad rap on here - they have always seemed to be the defacto choice ofr Overland vehicles, be them LR, LC or other!!

I knew the OME stuff was made at Monroe, I was told that recently by and Aussie. It being the defacto choice Mike is really not quite the case. It was the default case. In other words we've not really had a choice in the past.

I have OME 2 inch lift on my 80 for the last two years. Used as daily driver and two trips down to Morocco. Really happy with them so far. Have had them on my Defender 90 for past 6 years and they still feel great on the road and flex well off road.

OK, well I contacted Devon 4x4 earlier today (before reading the most recent responses above!) and gave them my requirements for suspension, they immediately responded with a quote for OME kit. I queried some of the points about OME made above, and how EFS compares (and a quote for EFS too), this was their response:

Devon4x4:
Being the largest Old Man Emu dealer in the UK we are very surprised and saddened to hear incorrect reports claiming that OME parts are being made in China rather than Australia. Also, we've not noticed any change in quality in the last 15 years, in fact we'd go as far as to say the quality has improved, more so in the last few years. Our only gripe is the powder coating is not up to the harsh / salty winters we have in the UK and for our own vehicles we do tend to re coat the springs after 12 months. Once recoated they last for years and years without issue.

On the note of alternatives, we can get in EFS for you if you prefer but we would always choose OME over EFS ourselves.

So it sounds like OME springs suffer from the same finish issues as the Ironman kit, but are still made in Australia and not in China as others have suggested. Does anyone have any evidence to the contrary? Or just hearsay? Not trying to stir trouble, would just be interested to know where these reports come from!

FYI, the costs I have been quoted for full suspension kit (shocks and springs) to provide a 2" lift all round, inc. steering damper, are as follows (approx):

Ironman: £700-£750
EFS: £880
OME: £900-£1,050

So in summary, I am still no closer to making a decision!

That's fair enough Gary, thanks for the link!

I queried Devon 4x4 further on OME vs. EFS and they said the following:

We have plenty of vehicles touring the world on both EFS and OME and we have had less issues with the OME compared to the EFS. This is not to say the EFS is bad in any way, just we have less problems with OME.

I can't see why they'd lie as a stockist of both, unless they make significantly more margin on the OME kit perhaps?! ;)

Fox in the US will now make you a set of shocks for an 80 with valving of your choice. They are fully rebuildable, so can be fixed in the middle of nowhere if you carry rebuild kit.

Having tried various manufacturers shocks on my HEAVY 80 the Fox shocks transformed the ride and handling. I do have one criticism, in that the "eye" takes an American size rubber bushing which is crap. The eyes are a press fit. I have had mine cut off and a std size Toyota eye welded in place with OEM rubber bushings.

Have done about 25,000Km on some of Africa's worst roads and had no issues with the Fox.

Ryan T also has a set fitted to his lifted 80.

Bilstens also a very good shock.

Thanks Olazz....sounds like a very expensive option, how much are we talking?

OK, taking an alternative tact here; would people be kind enough to rate the kit they have had or still have on their vehicles? So just copy and paste the following template, and fill in the blanks:

Manufacturer:
Lift: (e.g. 2"?)
Standard or heavy duty:
On-road ride comfort: X/10
Off-road ride comfort: X/10
On-road handling: X/10
Off-road handling: X/10 (axle articulation, traction, etc.)
Load carrying capability: X/10
Durability/build quality: X/10
Overall impression: X/10
Value for money: X/10
Would you buy again: Y/N

Thanks! :)

Mike, IIRC shocks were $340 each + Shipping and I had to pay 20% VAT + 4.5% Duty, but got a bespoke set up.

Manufacturer: FOX
Lift: (e.g. 2"?) 6"
Standard or heavy duty: 2.0 heavy duty valving - rebound adjustable
On-road ride comfort: 8/10
Off-road ride comfort: 10/10
On-road handling: 8/10
Off-road handling: (axle articulation, traction, etc.) 10/10
Load carrying capability: Bespoke valving 8/10
Durability/build quality: 9/10
Overall impression: 9/10
Value for money: 10/10
Would you buy again: Y/N Resounding yes!

NB. The handling and offroad traction and ability is not purely down to my choice of shocks. Its my entire suspension setup.

Last edited:
For what it's worth at this late stage, I fitted OME springs, shocks and steering damper on a 110mm lift on my 80, some 150k kms and 8 years ago, and they're still performing as well as when fitted.

No leaks, no failures and the ride is the same as when fitted, i.e. perfect.

Cant disagree with the complaints about finish though, the damper and shocks are still mostly yellow, but the springs are a nice shade of peeling stuff and rust. It doesn't bother me too much, if it did I'd pull them off and blast/paint them.

Overall, OME get my :thumbup: but I have no knowledge of the alternatives.

Back