Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is it feasible/practicable to retro fit a OME rear locker?

TALAMAN

Country Flag
cyprus
Hi Folks!
I have been looking at 95's here in Cyprus and many do not have the factory fitted rear difflock.
Is it worth or even possible looking for one at the many scrappies here to try and retro fit one to
a 95 without one originally fitted?

Cheers!
Geoff

Hi Geoff, you need to look further into this. A Prado without a diff lock could well have an LSD fitted as standard. It locks automatically on the application of power and always works.
This can be checked on the manufactures plate with a code I used to know on the "transmission" line.
I'm sure someone will be along with the table of axle codes.
I'm not sure if the diff locks can be retro fitted to a Prado as the electrics might not be in place ie. relays ecu's etc.
I suppose it depends how extreme you want your off roading to be.
BTW, is there a lot of Prado's/ 90 series Cruisers in breakers over there?
When I was "spying" over there I saw both Prados and Landcruisers on the road. My personal preference would be a "Cruiser" than a Prado.

Hi Andy,
I forgot to mention the LSD of which I am aware. I am done with serious offroading. I intend to have a mostly standard LC. The only reason I want a DL is for emergencies really. I do like to explore :innocent::innocent: so felt it would be better to have one to possibly get me home if I am out on my own. However, I do know to be sensible when out without backup.

I have no experiance of LC's/Prado's in scrappies here, only know about Suzukis. But you know what the driving is like here, there is every chance of a good rear end lying around somewhere.

Axle codes would be good if anyone has them?
Cheers,
Geoff

The potential costs are not to be underestimated.

Even if you find a 2nd hand complete rear axle assembly relatively cheaply that isn't too rusty, you will more than likely need to factor in the cost of a replacement locker unit (c.£400 new). All the wiring and electronic bits are quite extensive, perhaps more than you might imagine (for example the system includes a sensor in the transfer box, so that it can 'know' whether you have engaged low ratio. It should be possible to retrofit this to your existing TB, but you need to consider the cost of the necessary wiring harness etc).

There are also practical difficulties in making sure the replacement rear axle is of the same ratio as your front axle, not impossible but, again, not as straightforward as you might think!

Nothing is impossible and good luck if you try it, but don't be under any illusions.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK guys! Thanks for the feedback, guess that's a NO then. At least I know now.
Geoff

I'd suggest following up on Mark's suggestion about an aftermarket locker. The Aussies had Prados with LSDs (as far as I know) and they're mad for fitting lockers to everything so I'd be surprised if there aren't drop-in units available still

Thanks again guys! Looked at an expensive D4D today (well I think it is expensive) but I am learning what the market prices are slowly. Anyway, it had a rear diff but the diff lock light was flashing red. Off to research the forum to learn what the lights are all about!

Just found that thanks Andy. Somebody say it is sitting waiting to engage so looks promising!!

if its flashing and not enganging it's normall the actuator that's gone. Not a cheap part to replace, but cheaper than swapping a diff lock into a non diff lock truck

It can't engage unless the wheels turn so if you just flipped the switch at a standstill to see the flashing light it may well work . Few use the difflock so you may have to do a bit of forward and reverse before it wakes up again .

While its a nice thing to have the rear locker in my mind is only for use in places nobody would sensibly go alone . If you search the forum for "Lincomb" that's where i use my rear locker , then do another search for "Romania" i've done 3 trips there and i'm not sure if i used it at all .

Thanks guys. Shayne, what you describe is exactly what happened.
Not experienced with the Toyota system, I knew that driving on tarmac and playing with lockers could play havoc stressing up the system. So on the test drive I was stationery and engaged Lo and then then the rear locker which was flashing on the dash. I now know you need to have the wheels turn for the rear to engage and I did not want to do that on tarmac so quickly turned it off until I could read more about it.

Lastly, I only look upon a locker as an emergency thing. I never intend to be in iffy situations alone. Off to look at your other posts.

Thanks very much,
Geoff

The wheels don't actually HAVE to turn to engage the locker; it can lock when static but only if the splines on the sleeve are already lined up. They're fairly fine spines but the spring inside the actuator isn't that strong so if they're a bit out, it doesn't lock. Moving the wheels turns one side of the mechanism allowing the sleeve to shoot across and lock the two halves together.
If it's not been used much, not only can the actuator get stiff or even seized up, but the sleeve and splines can also be fouled with old oil and gunk making it difficult to engage. Using the locker regulalry as Shayne indicates is the best maintenance you can do on it. Don't save it for emergencies. Flick it in and out any chance you get.

For info
The rear locker on a Collie or a 120 is effectively the same as the front of an 80. The rear on an 80 is a very different thing. That has very big teeth and if not lined up, you have to create quite a rotational difference in the two half shafts to get it to lock.

Have to say a BIG thank you to all who have responded to this thread. It was my first post and I must say I am impressed with their knowledge and generosity.

Cheers y'all!
Geoff

Driving forward and back a short distance on tarmac, in a dead straight line with diff locked wouldn't cause a problem.

Mine has a LSD at rear, it doesn't lock up solid but certainly does help. Far better than an open diff.

Back