Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

is it the tyres?

goodoldboy

ive recently put on a set of cooper AT3s & have noticed some slight vibration from the front at speeds above 60 mph.re balancing the fronts seems to have lessened it somewhat but its still there.it seems to be through the floor not the steering wheel nowhere near the level of vibes from a shot UJ.I normally have a set of cooper SSTs on in winter & road tyres in summer so am i being too sensitive:think:? tyre pressure is 2 bar

When I got my Hilux I had terrible problems with a vibration around 65-75mph. I had the wheels balanced three times, everytime they said the last guys had done a shit job and changed the weights, but they always struggled to get them balanced and it still vibrated. I even got the the rack changed under warranty. eventually, at about 40000 miles I took it to the guy who rebuilt my cruiser for a service and asked him about it. He suggested changing the tyres, so I put GG AT2s, and hey presto, the vibration went!!

What he reckoned was the tyres lacked structural ridgidity and so at speed they started to deform, causing a vibration. Not all invincibles have this problem, but quite a number do.

Mine were duellers.

Not saying thats your problem, but thats what mine was. Looking back the give away was that the tyre fitters all struggled to balance the tyres.

I've had the same problem and it turned out to be bad tyres. I eventually got fed up of the vibrations and just got another set of wheels and tyres completely and problem went away. At the time I researched so much into balancing beads, and all of that kinda stuff! Might be worth putting rear tyres on the front and see if it changes anything?

and if you know someone with a spare set, fit those and see if it goes away

2 bar as in 29psi ? I don't go lower than that off road with my cooper stt 285/75's . Experimenting I've found 32 psi is absolute minimum for road use though it does hurt fuel consumption and you do get some of the wobble effect CLive mentioned elsewhere . And 37 psi is max . Air is cheaper than tyres .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A motorway journey has just confirmed the source of the vibes.noticing that i could turn on & off the vibes with the throttle made me suspect a C.V.so i managed to get it up on a car lift the other day & the C.V. in front of the transfer box was showing quite a lot of play "nowhere near the level of vibes from a shot UJ.":oops:

Back