Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is my gearbox FUBAR'd?

Hi my truck at first was that id wasnt in the right gear on set off. Sometimes it would be ok and yet other times it was as if i was pulling away in second. My fluid wasnt dirty and didnt smell burnt as some do before they give up. I took the gearbox sump off and cleaned out the filter but no different. From what your saying with the truck sliping on set off maybe torque converter is just on the way out. Had mine done for around the 250-300 mark. My truck started to slip really bad one day as if there was no fluid line pressure. It go so bad that it wouldnt move. I had to turn the car off wait a min then go again. I couldnt go far before it lost drive again. From the time it started to slip really bad to it stoping completely was around three miles. I used to use the box more like a man one useing the gears on the stick as it seemed to drive better like that. I have spent abit on the box now as i use it alot and it has to do the jobs i need it to do. Now runs fine. Like other people have said. You really do need to get it sorted as it will let you down at the worst possile time.

Did you get to the bottom of this problem James?

Once I got the ATF level correct it has never done it since. I was misreading the dipstick and I didn't realise you are meant to cycle through the gears and then check. Have taken it offroad a few times up very steep hills which would have stressed the gearbox and no errors or failures.

Back