Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

IS removing a 80 rear diff from axle like in this video the same procedureas 90 series?

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
The bolts he uses to screw into the hubs to pull out the half shafts, can this technique be used on the 90 series, does the 90's hubs have them same threaded holes?

Also, if I don't use / need my rear diff locker (it's seized) can I purchase arear axle case with no diff locker feature and put my original diff into a new case with no diff lock actuator?

Is there any other sources to purchase a new genuine rear case in Ireland / Uk apart from Milners 4X4 and Toyota dealers? Roughtrax don't seem to sell them.

Last edited:
If someone could answer the below even it'd be helpful as I could buy the slightly cheaper axle case with no diff lock actuator hole in it. I got my axle welded and through the annual test but it's going to need more work in a yr or 2 so I think I'll buy it now and have it waiting.
If I don't use / need my rear diff locker (it's seized) can I purchase a rear axle case with no diff locker feature and put my original diff into a new case with no diff lock actuator?

The rear axles on an 80 and 90 are completely different beasts. But stripping either isn't that difficult. We had to do mine in the field when I blew the rear diff to pieces at Lincomb one year. Any rear diff drop is the same process. Prop, half shafts, flange case nuts. If you ended up with a case for a locker but didn't have a locker, making a blanking plate is really simply. You could practically use the cork out of a wine bottle it's that simple. Getting a housing without a locker cut out might prove harder to be fair.

I'm getting this for a shortie.

Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 10.37.18.jpg

Thanks very much, what site did you get that from, very handy to see the prices too.
Why is there a difference between a cruiser with abs and no abs in the context of replacing the axle? I'd have thought they'd still be the same axle.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
TOYOdiy. It's an invite only thing.

Probably just a hole or bracket where ABS cables or sensors mount somehow. You can't tell from the info on the drawings.

Back