Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

is rust a problem with the 100 series?

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
ok, so i know its to soon to build a picture of the 100 series in the 2002-2004 year range, after only looking at four, but all four we have looked at have an unacceptable amount of rust underneath. at least to us any way. are we on a bad run or is this what we can expect around this year range?

Yes.

Depends on salted roads or not; Wet winters or dry climate. Get one from Texas.

Texas has been a bit wet... houston was under 6ft of water when i was there earlier this year.

they were worse underneath as a percentage than my 96 80..

uhu, not had time to post my norway pictures, will do at some point. will say you live in a amazing country with fantastic people who have a very nice way of life.

back ot, its for my father, hes toying with getting an 80 now...

My 03 100 has a fair smattering of tinworm underneath, especially at the rear. theres a possibility it will need the bumper off and some plating for its next MOT. If you search long enough you will find one in relatively good condition. It seems to be a 100 thing.

Looking at years 03-05 I've found rust in the upper and lower sections of the tailgate (in/around the seams) around the windscreen (light bubbling along the top and especially where the gutter meets the screen) and underneath especially at the front (the bash-plate). More than I expected to find to be honest.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yup, it was more than we expected to find. Imo rust kills a motor, not mechanicals. I think he's swaying towards an 80 now. A shame but...

Get an 80 bought. I'm sure I can find him a few bits.

100s can be bad for the rust.

Stop it Karl - let him buy a 100 series - leave the 80 owners alone, eh?!?!?

Im sure you can carl...:icon-smile:

He wants minimal shed time, maximum caravan towing time. The surf hes got at the moment hasnt got the grunt, hes sick of sorentos overtaking him, thats why we were thinking the 100..

Last edited:
I completed a complete body strip down and repaint (documented on another thread) and found a bit towards the rear of the sills, upper and lower tailgate, the small reinforcing bars in the front wings and on the thin front panel under the front grill and lights. Everything else was really good.

In the years I've had the car (since 2009) it's never been offroaded (no signs that anyone did before me either). So tend to agree that there are a few areas common to most trucks.

hes bought a 2002 that's been treated underneath from new.

Back