Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is there oil fraud out there?

frank rabbets

Guru
I've just paid £44 for 5 litres of 5/40 fully synthetic long life oil from halfords suitable for my VW Golf. Looks like I can get the same (not halfords) on ebay for £38 for 20 litres. The spec on the ebay can is the same as the halfords branded oil. Can I trust it?

Last edited:
Not sure where you're coming from...the eBay oil is more expensive (per litre - £8.80 Vs £9.50) than the Halfords one, so on price it wouldn't raise suspicion.

As long as the oil meets the requirements and or manufacturers specs, then all good IMHO.

I've just paid £44 for 5 litres of 5/40 fully synthetic long life oil from halfords suitable for my VW Golf. Looks like I can get the same (not halfords) on ebay for £38 for 4 litres. The spec on the ebay can is the same as the halfords branded oil. Can I trust it?
I think there is 'oil fraud' out there, but the only way to prove it would be to have a private analysis on the oil, or mesure the wear on your motor, either way would be expensive.

Everything is copied or faked nowdays IMHO.

Theres even a rumour going around that news is faked, I don't believe that.

Anybody want to buy a genuine Rolex, I bought it in Turkey last year from a bloke called Mustafa Del Boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
For this very reason I also prefer to use familiar “trusted” brand oil and if you shop around you can get it at good prices. I include Halfords own brand oil here which I’ve used previously and would have no reservations about using it again. As said above the specs on the can is the important bit. Just make sure the can is genuine with manufacturers markings etc and don’t get drawn in by marketing hype and spend way too much on the latest top spec oil that your engine simply doesn’t need.

We would never know so all you can do is trust bulk buyers/suppliers for whom the value of investment and the risk of losing far more is a genuine deterrent .

And i ask who really cares in officialdom if someone on ebay makes 20 quid by swapping labels ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have also used Smith and Allen for several years both direct and via ebay and have been very pleased. They have been around a long time. As far as oil standards are concerned this site http://ukla-vls.org.uk/ gives a bit of an idea who has sold substandard oils in the past and has lots of info on compliance with standards.

Useful link there ren. I did not know such a trade body existed. As a matter of interest I have engine oil and axle oil in stock supplied by Smith and Allen. They are not the cheapest but it's probo worth paying a bit more as they are members of VLS.

Another :thumbup: for Smith and Allen here. They do their own branded products and are a Shell distributor.

Another :thumbup: for Smith and Allen here. They do their own branded products and are a Shell distributor.

+1 :thumbup:, I use them all the time for oils and Industrial paint (for trailers, tractors, lathes and so on).

A good company to deal with.

Bob.

Just out of interest I'm trying to arrange a discount code for the club with Smith and Allan, so we will see what happens

I’ve used Smith and Allen once before for an obscure compressor oil.
All other times I’ve used Morris’s oils. Great family owned U.K. company that’s been going donkeys years. Great product knowledge and will deliver if bought direct. I’ve used their Multivis oil for probably the last 25 years.

They too wouldn’t be the cheapest but it’s a guaranteed good product.

Scotty Kilmer on Youtube reckons Amazon Fully Synthetic oil. Recommends it to all his customers and used it himself. It has all the right conformities printed on the can.

Scotty Kilmer now believe him if you dare:whistle::whistle:

these fellas sell some pretty obscure oils.
there tech assistance, customer service and delivery is excellent ime.

https://www.westwayoils.co.uk/

looks like they have a new website. there ebay store shows more stock.

Back