Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is this a bargain? 2015.

Juddian

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain

When you see some of the ridiculous prices being asked for now quite old 120/150 models, isn't the above decent value.
I'm quite tempted, love dark green, but would put serious dent in my retirement funds.

The later conversion where Toyota fitted manual regen controls to DPF equiped 2.8 engines (at least in Oz), is that a retro fit possibility to 3.0 or is one stuck with the hope and pray regen solution when the ecu itself decides the journey you are making is suitable.

Id go for it!.... That's about the asking price for a Decent 80 these days :lol: ......... Seriously

I saw that 200 but have you seen the state of the wheels, that's seen some serious salt to have wheel paint bubbling that bad, a look underneath would be something to behold i suspect, spent its life in Scotland?
Whilst i'd like to own a 200 they're a bit too complicated for me to be honest, and too wide, i aint that far off retiring so has to be something sensible-ish.

I'm a fan of the 120, 150 is an ugly brute to me but beauty in the eye etc (if i bought that one i'd have to get the grill painted anthracite or similar) but at least in 3 litre form whilst its an upgrade its still basically the same package as i already have, at 5 years old it ''should'' have a rust free chassis and rear axle which can then be rustproofed well, obviously first place i'd be looking is underneath, same as always.

Would that 150 still go into the highest VED level or is it next one down?
Anyone know if Toyota offer a manual regen capability conversion, same as they've done to later 2.8's?

From what i can gather it goes into band K, so £330 a year.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That does look like a nice example - I don't recall seeing a 150 in that colour before either, as they always seem to be Black, Blue, Silver/Grey or White.

I know that 100 is nearly 20 yrs old compared to the 5 yr old 150, but at roughly a 3rd of the price it might be worth some consideration - you don't have to worry about emissions related VED either. The mechanicals and durability are already proven (assuming rust is not a factor of course) and running costs shouldn't be much different. Also, most of the depreciation has already happened - so you're overall costs may well be lower, even if you have to do some baselining of the 100.

All in my humble opinion of course and some man maths may be have been used to make decisions ( :icon-wink: )....personally I've always had a soft spot for the Hundy over almost all the other LC models, including the newer 200 /150 etc.

Quite a few low mileage 100s on Autotrader right now.

Im gonna take a look at that 100 Tomorrow,(Hopefully) But it would mean selling the 24v 80 :wtf: .....He says its a 3 speed with O/D.. If any of the 100 experts could confirm.. I too have a soft spot for the 100 series, And the 60 and a 79 troopy and a 40 series..... And my beloved 80 s

Hope the 100 is in the condition you hope for.

I'm back to work tomorrow so will have a deep think about that Green Goddess, that too is fairly local for us but not going to rush over there because pound to a penny i'll end up driving it home.
Doesn't help that the present 120 is such a good running example, yes i know it will sell easily (55 plate so less painful VED) but at the back of my mind is the cost to change will be in the order of £18/19k if i sell the 120 privately, that's quite a chunk of dosh, which to be fair is earning the square root of bugger all interest, but who knows what the lunatics presently running the country into the ground have planned for their next trick.
Decisions.

Agree Mate... You never know what the powers to be are going to do next... I wish i could understand the prices of Trucks at the moment... In 10 years time will they be worthless Because we are all running around in EVs and petrol and Diesel is Banned ? ... And the Export market is Snapping old Diesels up for 'Nowt'.. :confusion-shrug: ...Good luck with whatever you decide to do...

Went to view today, And its a very presentable truck, Good condition , No rust, Chassis very good, had a crawl underneath and all seems ok No signs of anything drastic, Interior very good, No rips or tears in the leather, Every thing works, Even the A/C.... Tail gate and front wings like new, It had the odd scuff, But for its age very good, Engine sounds sweet, Gear box does what it does............. Not so good.. Couldn't get rear diff to lock, But hes an elderly Gent, never used the diff locks, Didn't know what the 2nd start or power button did, Tow bar fitted but hes never used it,... Moisture in one of the front fogs, And some kind of issue with the wiper blades not sitting properly so the bonnet catches on them when you lift it.. Maybe an easy fix, Dont know.. It drove very well, AHC Worked fine,......Im still very interested , But is it worth selling my 24v 80 for..... Probably Not, But its a good honest Truck i think if anyone else is interested... If seen worse for a lot more, He's adamant he will take no less than 8 grand.... Its probably worth that... But im No expert on the 100 series.. It had decent Tyres but they were Budget ones (shame). Sorry for the thread jack Juddian

Last edited:
Please don't apologise, it's good to hear feedback on viewings/inspections.
I saw that Autocar write up on the 100 series, triggered my memory when i was looking at 100 series, the early gearbox can have torque converter issues, there's an early warning that things are getting past their best but buggered if i can recall what the syptoms are now.
Before we bought the current 120, there were two facelift 100 series V8 Petrols that had been used by the US Embassy London. Protection detail?
As i recall they were around the 60k miles, both black and in lovely condition, serviced in house which if i know US thinking probably means a service every couple of months, IIRC up for £16k or thereabouts, i thought theye were overpriced at the time and more than i wanted to spend at the time, really regret not going to look at them though, who know what might have been lurking in any hidden spaces :icon-cool: :shock:

Been thinking a lot today whilst covering a lot of miles at work, i probably won't go and see the Green machine because the temptation if its mint underbody will be too much and i know i'll go home with it.
If i replace the 120 i'd rather try and find one of the last 3 litre Hilux's again, seldom need any more than 2 seats and 5 is plenty, plus having 3 dogs that beautiful cream/beige rear interior would look like a kennel by the end of winter, that 150 deserves better than that, in retrospect we should have kept the previous Hilux so the dogs were in their own compartment.

I hope someone here is tempted by it and goes for a look see though.

My mind does wander off towards a petrol 100 sometimes The 4.7 is a trusted Lump i think.. And the prices always seem respectable.... But i always end up talking myself round......... ( I did drive a blokes Ford Wildtrak 3.2 a while ago... Christ! That was Nice).......... If you fancied a change from the Hi lux......

Yes i had considered a 3.2 Ranger might be an decent alternative.
However John Cadogan in one of his youtube specials spilled the beans about the 3.2's oil pump and changed my mind.

Apparently oil refill at change time has to be completed in 15 mins or the pump can't prime itself again (presamably if enough oil drains out), and i'm one of those who likes to keep an eye on the oil pick up strainer ever since they started fitting injectors inside the engine itself where any injector seal leakages can cause terminal engine damage, what if there was a sump gasket leak?

Do i really want to buy into a commercial utility vehicle so precious it can't even prime its own engine oil? er no.
Pity, i kinda liked the new Ranger and its one of the few that offers a decent capacity engine in the UK market.

Last edited:
I read about the Ranger engine oil change problem because the new Bronco uses the same engine and the only logical explaination i could think of is weight saving because it holds less oil ? the work around is to fill as you empty .

Back