Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is this worth a look

what did anyone else think of this imposter! http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4632972
Well i'd imagine he bought it 17 years ago if its a 1996 for one thing, and if he was able to afford a brand new amazon he could spell bought, service and a few other things. Sorry if that sounds mean, its not intended that way, its just that donedeal seems to attract a certain type of seller that likes to blank out number plates, ask twice what something is worth and tells a plethora of lies.

I have the official price list from 93 and they were £33k then! maybe he imported when he moved here from japan. Still if its a legit truck could be nice for someone but not at that money. Rd tax on that must be about €1300 PA so there's discount straight away!

Well i'd imagine he bought it 17 years ago if its a 1996 for one thing, and if he was able to afford a brand new amazon he could spell bought, service and a few other things. Sorry if that sounds mean, its not intended that way, its just that donedeal seems to attract a certain type of seller that likes to blank out number plates, ask twice what something is worth and tells a plethora of lies.

He pissed me off when he called it a jeep (sic).

Roger

My R reg VX sold for just over £38k in Jan '98. Probably one of the last 80's sold before the 100 appeared in March. The one in the AD looks like a GX. Not sure what the last GX's sold for.

It says GS on the back, it has solid rear windows, steel wheels and the price when new indicate its the base version GS. They were about£10K less than a VX 24V at the time 95-96. AFAIAA they were available in 95 and 96, not being a success the GX came in 97 to replace it with air con, ABS, alloys, third row of seats, side steps but not leather or wood trim. They are about as rare as a GS.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can't post the link but there is a nice black one on gumtree too but seems a high price.

It says 188k in the ad.

This is round the corner from me. Tempting I have to say, but a little on the high side. One of the last made? Well, not on a P it isn't given that they ended on an R - but that's being picky. Black not the best colour in my view, but that's a personal thing. It's top end money and a bit more. Possibly worth it, possibly not. Nice exhaust. Possibly done by Cobra in Sheffield.

Chris

Last edited:
Both cars look nice, black one a bit rich on price, but if its mint and the seller might move............
It makes the red one look good value. The GX's I've seen recently look far tidier inside as the cloth interior is very durable and 15 to 17 year old leather looks very tired by now.

Andy

Pop round there for me Andy. Bit busy tomorrow, can't make it until Friday. Ha Ha. See if you can get him to seven for me. I can pop into Towsure for a look round whilst I am there.

C

I know the feeling Shayne. Viv has a Shogun, 12 years old, no problems but I can't find a car that comes with the bells and whistles that we want, which is not what the dealers want to sell us.

Roger
Believe it or not my mrs has the same problem with her car she got a Hyundia SIII coupe brand new in 2007 , it looks good , is a full size car , we've shifted washing machines , double beds and all sorts in it . With the seats down its huge . But for all that its only a 1.6 and uses bugger all petrol . It's really time to replace it while its still holding a fair value but theres just nothing on the market that ticks all the same boxes .

It was the red one that inteested me, bit more in my prie range!!
Whats a reasonablemilage to expect, and still expect good reliability

In very simple terms, it's just not related to miles. I have seen them with 250k on the clock in really all round good condition and then newer ones with 100k that you'd run away from.
It just doesn't really work like that. The reliability of Cruisers is, genuinely legendary. But, that is different from the bits that wear out. So in 300k miles the engine should be sound, the lights will all work, so will the horn, the seats will still heat up and move under power etc etc. But the CVs will have been changed a couple of times, wheel bearings might be going, oil will be leaking out of the front swivels. See what I mean? Reliability isn't the issue, condition is, and that is not solely related to miles. I saw an R plate the other day with a hole in the tailgate. Some of this is luck. Honestly, you can only tell by looking. If it has a tidy interior, that's a positive. If the underside is pretty rust free, even oily actually than that's good too. All you need is the metal work to be nice and it's enough to say 'buy it'. In relation to anything else, it's just parts time and money. OK, yes there has to be an engine under the bonnet and it has to start etc etc. I am generalising. ut decent metal, clean underneath and an interior that you don't need to deep clean and it's really stacking up in your favour. If it feels good to drive then chuck your money on the bonnet. There are few hidden nasties on these.

Chris

This whole thread is about how difficult it is to get your hands on a good 80 . If thats your budget Yogi your looking for a truck that has not been altered in any way . If it looks ok and drives ok buy it then takes it in for a full service and hope they don't find any serious faults . These are very tough trucks that have been known to keep running past a million miles but its all down to maintenance , no maintenance is better than bad maintenance and nobody can know who has worked on the truck in the past 20 years . Don't buy one unless you can afford to chuck another grand at it afterwards is the only way to do it with any confidence .

Go for what you can afford so long as the chassis is A1 and there is no rot on the body shell. Doors, wings bonnets can be replaced via Karl webster lol. That was the way I set my criteria. If you are mechanical then you'll want to think about things like brakes, steering and transmission but I figured if it was road worthy I could do bits later and as I could afford them. If you really want a cruiser as bad as I did then really price shouldn't come into it so long as the truck is ballpark. At the end of the day £1000 either way isn't going to be a big difference if you intend keeping it for 5 years plus. I went to england several times and the first thing I did was look under the truck and 3 times walked straight away without doing any further. When I finally bought my cruiser I went over expecting to pay about £5500 and ended up spending a lot less and getting a better truck from the same dealer. I always find that if you go and look and have the money in your pocket you can usually work out a deal but no-one is going to drop a big lump over the phone. you are not going to get a perfect truck for reasonable money given that they are 20years old now. Take a ferry and try to look at 3-4 in the one trip.

Can't post a link but is this 80 worth going to look at
ebay number 321064990822
David

I have actually seen this car in the flesh only last week. Was tempted by the low miles and the fact that it was a manual. When I arrived to see it one of the tyres was down on air and the guy said it just needs inflating. When we tried to start it it wouldn't so they tried to jump start it. I guess there was little or no diesel in the tank - and they had to pump the diesel manually whilst trying to jump start it.

It finally started - the engine bay itself looked very clean - the chassis looked like it had been waxoyled. Sticker said cambelt was done at 82K miles. One thing that was very surprising was the window switches or whatever on all doors were loose and were not even fixed properly to the door.
Other than the V5 and two mot certificates it has no service / owner history. I was not too bothered by the lack of it though. It's just that the seller got little bit annoyed for asking a simple question " Does it have any service history?". To cut the long story short my gut instinct said something was badly wrong with this - I couldn'f figure out what exactly it was so walked away.

I got the impression that this truck was "export orientated" - as the guy said it will finally end up in Africa.

Im probably going to sell my truck. Its a '93 VX auto, Japanese import, 12v, recently had a fair amount done at Julian Vs eg front axles, injector and fuel pump servicing, timing belt etc etc. Good truck. I'm not putting pics up here but happy to send to interested parties and to discuss price etc. It comes with a Patriot roof rack and Eeziawn awning on the rack.

Jeremy

Back