Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Isolator cones

Matt Vee

Anyone know where to get new rubber isolator cones for the rear springs?

Amayama.com, Partsouq, Megazip. You may be able to get some used ones from @karl webster.
Or just don't run them... I did some measurement the other week and I don't think it's possible for the axle to clout the chassis on full compression of springs. This is assuming youre chopping arches as much as I have mind.

I believe only the LWB models had them from the factory, and the SWB didn't. Which does beg the question about how important they are...

I believe only the LWB models had them from the factory, and the SWB didn't. Which does beg the question about how important they are...

There are 2 part numbers: 48302-60050 and 48302-60051.

50 goes only for Prado, only for LWB and only for Europe and General counries.
51 goes also for 185 4runner/Hilux surf (Europe, USA, Japan, General) . And 51 also goes for SWB: LJ90L-GJMRS - model code.

I'm not sure if they give anything but the problem of rear suspension breakdowns because of weak stock springs for LWB especially for models with 3rd seat is not a secret :)
I solved it with new springs from lift kit.

There are 2 part numbers: 48302-60050 and 48302-60051.

50 goes only for Prado, only for LWB and only for Europe and General counries.
51 goes also for 185 4runner/Hilux surf (Europe, USA, Japan, General) . And 51 also goes for SWB: LJ90L-GJMRS - model code.

I'm not sure if they give anything but the problem of rear suspension breakdowns because of weak stock springs for LWB especially for models with 3rd seat is not a secret :)
I solved it with new springs from lift kit.

My parts diagram says 'not applicable', which I assume means they never had one... http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/199...chassis/4804_rear-spring-shock-absorber#48302

In any case, I can confirm that mine has never had one in the 50,000 miles that I've owned it! I can see that LWB vehicles are heavier, but how do they stop suspension breakdowns? The bump stops are separate after all.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The isolator cones are the only bump stop I have on the rear of my truck and about half of them have snapped off on both sides, thanks dudes.

My parts diagram says 'not applicable', which I assume means they never had one... http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/199...chassis/4804_rear-spring-shock-absorber#48302

In any case, I can confirm that mine has never had one in the 50,000 miles that I've owned it! I can see that LWB vehicles are heavier, but how do they stop suspension breakdowns? The bump stops are separate after all.

The cones looks like additional bump stops that are to make breakdowns more flowing. Anyway in my opinion it is good if they are already installed, but I see no sense in buying and installation if you don't have them.

The cones looks like additional bump stops that are to make breakdowns more flowing. Anyway in my opinion it is good if they are already installed, but I see no sense in buying and installation if you don't have them.
Having just refit my rear axle and suspension it occurred to me that while the cones (bump stops) prob aren't needed... The rubber seat they provide for the top of the springs probably is. I'll be making some rubber seats for mine I think.

Having just refit my rear axle and suspension it occurred to me that while the cones (bump stops) prob aren't needed... The rubber seat they provide for the top of the springs probably is. I'll be making some rubber seats for mine I think.

Give a look at Nissan's one for Patrol Y61. For front springs. There a number of codes, one of them is 54034-VD20A. A friend of mine tried to lift rear axle with Nissan's front springs. I'm not sure but they look like you are searching for.
Снимок2.JPG

Снимок.JPG

In case you need to add a bit more springiness, have you considered the air bag helper springs that go inside the coil springs? The extra support gives a minor lift, plus if you’ve got added weight they help support it. I’ve just fitted some to my 80 and I’m pretty pleased with them. They minimise body roll quite nicely.

Just for information (from Kayaba catalogue):

Prado LWB rear
  • Weight [kg]: 3,63
  • thickness [mm]: 14,25
  • Outer diameter [mm]: 146
  • length[mm]: 382

Patrol Y61 front
  • thickness [mm]: 14,75
  • Outer diameter [mm]: 155
  • length[mm]: 405
  • Weight [kg]: 4,29

In case you need to add a bit more springiness, have you considered the air bag helper springs that go inside the coil springs? The extra support gives a minor lift, plus if you’ve got added weight they help support it. I’ve just fitted some to my 80 and I’m pretty pleased with them. They minimise body roll quite nicely.
I'm running pedders springs on Monroe adventure shocks with no anti roll bars... When it's finally driveable again (see my build thread) I'll let you know what it's like. @Matt Vee what was the reason behind yoir original query?

I was thinking the above for Matt instead of the cones which you remove to fit bags. It seems the cones may have had a hard life for one reason or another, possibly weakened springs or higher loading which the helper springs would, err, help. :)

I was thinking the above for Matt instead of the cones which you remove to fit bags. It seems the cones may have had a hard life for one reason or another, possibly weakened springs or higher loading which the helper springs would, err, help. :)
Fair point :)

Mine fell to pieces at the slightest touch. I think they're water traps and just rot to hell... That's the hard life rather than being hit by the axle... Just my thoughts.

Strange! At 26 yrs mine on the 80 were in excellent condition. Even though they had contributed to almost every journey I have taken due to a constant load in the back (hence the helpers). Strange how these things differ. Maybe a different rubber compound. Who knows? The outer bump stops on the other hand disappeared without trace some time between year 1 and year 23 when I discovered their remains. :)

Strange! At 26 yrs mine on the 80 were in excellent condition. Even though they had contributed to almost every journey I have taken due to a constant load in the back (hence the helpers). Strange how these things differ. Maybe a different rubber compound. Who knows? The outer bump stops on the other hand disappeared without trace some time between year 1 and year 23 when I discovered their remains. :)

Lol I cut the mounts off for the outside ones... The stops were gone and the mounts were so corroded they may as well have been gone. From what I've seen of the underside of an 80 vs a 90 I'm at a loss to understand why the 90s rot back there but the 80s don't!

Back