Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Issue

Trent massina

Country Flag
australia
Hi there 120 series 04 model have a power issue /charging issue new batteries new alternator checked all the fuses and still not getting any charge from the alternator what could it be

What's the voltage at the battery once it's running? Is the belt in good condition and not slipping?

Did you get new batteries and alternator because of this issue, or were they all replaced because of something else?

Do you have any lights on the dashboard?

Was the alternator new or reconditioned or second hand? Has it been tested?

Also those batteries need taking out and reconditioning / charging asap - 5v is possibly FUBAR.

What kind of batteries are they and how old?

What's the full story here - please tell us everything

It started when I was driving I lost my blinkers and then realised my dash lights where really dull and so where my head light mechanic at work said my alternator was dieing so I get it replaced also new batteries the ones I had where old have it all tested was told it’s all good worked for a day and now I’m having the same issue

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It sounds to me like the new alternator never worked - it lasted for a day because it was running off the batteries but now they're shagged, possibly fatally!

I agree with your mechanic it sounds like the alternator - the new one wants looking at I'd say. Did they remember to connect the wires to it?

My truck was parked up for 6 months and noting it was slow to start i removed both batteries trickle charging one until it was near 14 volts then the other which took a few days .

All good but then because for the next couple of weeks i never drove more than 5 minutes i hooked the charger up while they were in the truck just because 5 minutes is not enough to recharge .

A brand new battery will only start a car so many times if the alternator isn't given time to replenish the circa 2volt drain that goes into starting the engine .

I don't know much about elecktrickery but i do know a trickle charger will repair batteries when they get too low for the alternator to fix .

I don't know much about elecktrickery but i do know a trickle charger will repair batteries when they get too low for the alternator to fix .

Batteries dont like being run totally flat, and left that way. If they get flat, they need to be charged up asap, else it hurts the battery long term. OP said his batteries were at 5V. Thats not just flat, thats f**** flat. A charge might fix it, or it might need the reconditioning mode thats on some chargers to try and bring it back to life.

Also some smart chargers wont recognise a battery if the voltage is very low - they wont start the charging process. In that case, you can attach the knackered battery in parallel to a half decent one, and charge them both. After a while you can disconnect its friend and carry on charging.

You make a very good point - the batteries should be out of that truck now and on charge asap to get them recovered - hopefully. And the alternator needs to be checked and sorted.....

BTW you might want to invest in a voltmeter - just one of those fag lighter ones from ebay. They're not perfectly accurate, but they'll give you an idea as to whether the alternator is working and if you're running off alternator power or the battery. So you'll have an early warning if you're about to have a problem....

Yer I’ve got a smart charger at home I’ll put it in charge and leave it the start the car and will the alternator start to charge is that right ?

I think there's two problems now:

1. Batteries are flat
2. alternator isn't working

Charging the batteries can potentially solve the first problem, but the alternator and it's installation needs checking.

If you just charge the batteries you might be ok for a day again and then back in the same position.

How far away is the garage that installed the alternator? You might be able to get the car started and drive it there if it's close. Was the alternator new or recon - what make is it?

Last edited:
I put it in myself done it heaps of times and I put it in properly and battery is fully charged

BTW have you got the battery light on the dashboard? Or cant you say because it wont start yet?

Have you checked the 7.5A ALT fuse, and the 140A ALT fusible link?

Well done sorting it and thanks for reporting back!

Back