Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Italian Alps 2017 - exploring Military fort trails

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
had enough of lower level trails in the Auvergne, since we had finished the roadbook the lure of high mountain trails and visiting forts in the alp was too much,
4.5 hours drive East and a long drive up tracks to 2200m and we are camped by an old fort close to mount jafferua and above town of Oulx.

This has to be one of my all time favourite camping spots - 3rd visit.

Shame the 1km scary tunnel is closed now though :( enjoyed driving through that with spots on is past, but it is well dodgy with rockfall inside it.

IMG_2944.JPG
IMG_2945.JPG
IMG_2946.JPG
IMG_2947.JPG
IMG_2948.JPG
IMG_2949.JPG
IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

As ever looks great. Were the huge looking caves accessible?

The caves are more like massive cliff collapses, over 100m vertical.
I wasn't going to explore them :)
The tunnel goes into mountain behind them

Drove the amazing trail to Fort Jafferau yesterday. But snow thwarted us at 2550m and 4 km from fort. So we got bikes out and cycled rest.
I got to summit at 2750m.
In past we drove to summit in July when a digger had removed snow from track

A couple photos until I get better 3G tomorrow

IMG_2962.JPG

IMG_2963.JPG

Thanks for posting these, I've been using them to show the missus what we can expect when we are around that part of the world in mid August. That trail is one of the once we are planning on doing when we are there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i keep showing my missus the pictures too..

looks fantastique! I wonder when the snows arrive....we cant do anything until October :(....

Here are more photos from trip up to fort Jafferau and Fort Foens.
Then we spent 2 days in Val de Argenetra near Sestriere, both a bit unwell with a bug, but did some walking and resting up. Wife's birthday too... but we managed a BBQ and drinks. It's a great remote valley to camp in, but avoid at weekends as hordes arrive...
Today tried Strada del Assettia, but main trail closed due to landslide, but drove upto Coll, and down again to Sestriere.
Then heads towards Fenestrelle and drove some new trails for us and end of Assettia which was great to see new stuff.

And had amusing moment of a helicopter pilot guiding us under his rotors as he had parked his chopper on the trail !!!

IMG_2964.JPG
IMG_2968.JPG
IMG_2972.JPG
IMG_2976.JPG
IMG_2978.JPG
IMG_2991.JPG
IMG_2992.JPG
IMG_2993.JPG
IMG_2994.JPG
IMG_2995.JPG
IMG_3905.JPG
IMG_3910.JPG
IMG_3912.JPG
IMG_2980.JPG
IMG_2981.JPG
IMG_2982.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG
IMG_2985.JPG
IMG_2987.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_2965.JPG

Headed up the Somellier trail today, but hit last years snow fields blocking trail about 4km at 2500m which was 500m vertical short of the summit of the trail which goes upto 3000m.
Then it rained a bit, so herself got a bit wet cycling down 1300m vertical over 18km.

IMG_3027.JPG
IMG_3029.JPG
IMG_3030.JPG
IMG_3032.JPG
IMG_3033.JPG
IMG_3034.JPG
IMG_3035.JPG
IMG_3036.JPG
IMG_3037.JPG
IMG_3038.JPG
IMG_3039.JPG

This is all too wonderful, just love altitude! (No hint of envy...)

Sorry to hear about the bug-hit, just what you don't need...

...and a happy belated to herself, BTW.

Thanks for posting Andy :thumbup:

Great stuff andy, but please get another hope brake lever for that rear caliper..;)

Andy, thanks for this great thread. I did a lot of these trails in 2002 on my BMW F650GSD.

One thing I noticed was a distinct lack of 4x4 vehicles on any of the tracks. I don't remember seeing any restrictions on 4x4 vehicles at the time but have thought of doing them again in the 80.

Are there any restrictions on 4x4s, be that signs or physical barriers? Also can you wild camp just about anywhere?

Andy, thanks for this great thread. I did a lot of these trails in 2002 on my BMW F650GSD.

One thing I noticed was a distinct lack of 4x4 vehicles on any of the tracks. I don't remember seeing any restrictions on 4x4 vehicles at the time but have thought of doing them again in the 80.

Are there any restrictions on 4x4s, be that signs or physical barriers? Also can you wild camp just about anywhere?

We saw a couple 4x4 but mainly motorbikes, a lot of which were going offpiste.... :(
And going through closed tunnel

Didn't see any restriction signs for 4x4

Wild camping seems ok, in Valle Argentera there is a sign asking people to camp and park in designated areas,

Back