Its been some time......

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
Anyone remember this contraption?

IMG_1263.JPG

I was running this as my DD back in 2011/12 and it was running fine with no issues until one weekend, Bens leaving do at Lincomb I decided to fit some 255/85 16 BFG KM2's on heavy steel wheels and nip down Stourbridge way for the afternoon and come back around 8.00.
All went to plan but coming back I did push on a bit for all the 120 miles and all seemed well.
Next morning it was apparent all was not well, a fair bit of smoke and a constant misfire. Bugger.
Having swapped injectors about with no success I sorned it and put it in the barn.

Fast forward to March this year I thought it might be an idea to investigate so in the workshop it went.
There are a few step by step pics here so don't go to sleep!!
so we make a start.

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

Spare engine, been outside on a pallet 10 years, no sump,injectors ex manifold etc.
IMG_1055.JPG

This may be the cause of the problem!! All 6 were shagged but these were the worst. 6 pistons required.
IMG_1056.JPG

Block and cylinders survived pretty well all things considered.
IMG_1058.JPG

Spare engine head removed, what did I expect after 10 years outside?
IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

Got this gizzmo to clean the bores so the pistons would pass.
IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1064.JPG

All 6 removed and in perfect condition, you couldn't have scripted it.
IMG_1065.JPG

Big ends and rings sourced by our own Mr Webster.
IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

All pistons perfectly cleaned and re rung with shells fitted.
IMG_1101.JPG

Best 12 rockers refaced by a 88 year old engineer down the road. It is worth pointing out the valve tips were re faced by Chris to make a spot on job.
IMG_1102.JPG

This shows how bad they can get.
IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

Pistons in.
IMG_1116.JPG

Big ends torqued.
IMG_1117.JPG

Hole in the sump was brazed up.
IMG_1118.JPG

Re assembly was straight forward head on, tappets, rocker cover, inlet and exhaust, diesel pipes and injectors. Coolant pipes connected, fluids topped up and ready to start.
It did start pretty well with a bit of assistance from Des who was in the place at the right time and I have it on video which I will upload tomorrow. IMG_1057.JPG IMG_1100.JPG

Last edited:
Sounding sweet Andy. :clap:
So what killed it? Was it low oil after the sump was holed? If so how come the mains survived? :think:

Anyone remember this contraption?

View attachment 134516

I was running this as my DD back in 2011/12 and it was running fine with no issues until one weekend, Bens leaving do at Lincomb I decided to fit some 255/85 16 BFG KM2's on heavy steel wheels and nip down Stourbridge way for the afternoon and come back around 8.00.
All went to plan but coming back I did push on a bit for all the 120 miles and all seemed well.
Next morning it was apparent all was not well, a fair bit of smoke and a constant misfire. Bugger.
Having swapped injectors about with no success I sorned it and put it in the barn.

Fast forward to March this year I thought it might be an idea to investigate so in the workshop it went.
There are a few step by step pics here so don't go to sleep!!
so we make a start.

View attachment 134897
View attachment 134898
View attachment 134899

Spare engine, been outside on a pallet 10 years, no sump,injectors ex manifold etc.
View attachment 134900

This may be the cause of the problem!! All 6 were shagged but these were the worst. 6 pistons required.
View attachment 134901
Block and cylinders survived pretty well all things considered.
View attachment 134903
Spare engine head removed, what did I expect after 10 years outside?
View attachment 134904
View attachment 134905

View attachment 134906
Got this gizzmo to clean the bores so the pistons would pass.
View attachment 134907
View attachment 134908
All 6 removed and in perfect condition, you couldn't have scripted it.
View attachment 134909
Big ends and rings sourced by our own Mr Webster.
View attachment 134930
View attachment 134931
All pistons perfectly cleaned and re rung with shells fitted.
View attachment 134933
Best 12 rockers refaced by a 88 year old engineer down the road. It is worth pointing out the valve tips were re faced by Chris to make a spot on job.
View attachment 134934
This shows how bad they can get.
View attachment 134935
View attachment 134936
Pistons in.
View attachment 134937
Big ends torqued.
View attachment 134938
Hole in the sump was brazed up.
View attachment 134939
Re assembly was straight forward head on, tappets, rocker cover, inlet and exhaust, diesel pipes and injectors. Coolant pipes connected, fluids topped up and ready to start.
It did start pretty well with a bit of assistance from Des who was in the place at the right time and I have it on video which I will upload tomorrow. View attachment 134902 View attachment 134932

Good job well done. A great looking truck too

Nice one Andy, good to see it fire up after all that time!

I’m interested to know why it failed, too :think:

Sounding sweet Andy. :clap:
So what killed it? Was it low oil after the sump was holed? If so how come the mains survived? :think:

Nice one Andy, good to see it fire up after all that time!

I’m interested to know why it failed, too :think:

TBH when I bought it it ran fine, had plenty of oil in it and seemed fine. Not much blow by and good oil pressure. I think the mistake I made (for the first time) was not to change the oil immediately. On a 60 there is a device which cuts the engine a few seconds after the oil pressure drops below a certain pressure to avoid engine damage so it wasn't low oil. On some 60 sumps they have a bash plate spot welded to the bottom which traps water and rots between, This I removed and brazed the hole up. It was only wet between, not leaking as such.
Typically at 190K the big end shells were virtually perfect and could have confidently been used again but as I'd invested in a set they were fitted to a perfect crank.
The root of the problem was self inflicted I think, I'd put 255/85's on Hilux steel wheels (heavy) which had increased the gearing a bit, and asked everything of it to Lincomb and back on oil of an indeterminate age. There was no overheating issue, temp was fine all the way, rad is like new.
It has been suggested it could have been an injector issue but they checked out fine for break pressure and spray pattern, it ran without smoking so I guess its not that.

The biggest bonus was that the bores were still good, a few small scores but nothing for concern and that the pistons out of the scrap engine were so good, the rings were worn out but all the ring grooves were perfect and the new rings fitted snugly. ( these pistons came out of a 60 which had a Turbo Technics turbo conversion fitted BTW).
It goes to show, although low tech, these engines are rugged and durable and not difficult to work on.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well done for Saving another 60 Andy!!
How many miles were on the engine with the worn out ring grooves?

Nice job. Can we expect to see it at a lincomb next year then?
Mmmmmn, I don't know Ed, I've got to go through it this next week and get it tested, I might run it for a while as it was one of my favourites and it might make Lincomb, when is it by the way?

Well done for Saving another 60 Andy!!
How many miles were on the engine with the worn out ring grooves?

The pistons out of the truck had got 193K on them and the pistons which went back in had 225K and been turbo'd. On both blocks there was very little bore wear but the rings on the turbo'd were really thin, that said it went very well. If the block in the Cruiser had been bad then I could have used the other block and crank and re furbished that.

Hi Andy that looks and sounds a top job and so quick a dig :thumbup::clap:.

Sent in for MOT today. A small plate was welded on the O/S sill to tidy a small hole and....................

It passed no advisories.

YES.......YES.....YES :icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin:

Taxed in the morning, new DD for a change. ( soon be for sale though)

Will that is. A good bit of new good job Andy so it's up and running :thumbup::clap::laughing-rolling:

Great work Andy. Can you remember where your hard hat is?!!

Back